How to find the distance of this vector? did i draw it right?>

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the distance of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. This formula can be used for any type of vector, but it is important to use the correct formula and ensure that the components are in the correct units and labeled correctly. To ensure the vector is drawn correctly, one can check the length and direction using known values and a protractor. Common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to take the square root and using the wrong formula.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm not sure if i drew this right...I'm also confused on how I'm suppose to determine the coordinates of P. Thanks!

Here is the picture and directions:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7265/ex36nk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not drawn correctly. The line L must be perpendicular to line a, yet pass through point b.

One way to find the coordinates of point P is to write the equations of the two lines and find where they intersect.

Hello there,

I would like to clarify some terminology first. The term "distance" typically refers to the length of a straight line between two points. In this case, it seems like you are asking about the magnitude of a vector, which is the length or size of the vector itself.

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This theorem states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the vector is represented by the diagonal line in the image you provided.

To determine the coordinates of point P, you can use the right angle triangle formed by the vector and the x and y axes. The x coordinate of P can be found by measuring the horizontal distance from the origin to P, while the y coordinate can be found by measuring the vertical distance from the origin to P.

I cannot comment on whether you drew the vector correctly without more information, but I hope this helps with finding its magnitude and determining the coordinates of P. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do I find the distance of a vector?

The distance of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of the vector (also known as its magnitude) can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. This can be represented by the formula: d = √(x² + y² + z²), where x, y, and z are the components of the vector in each dimension.

2. What components of the vector do I need to find the distance?

In order to find the distance of a vector, you will need to know the x, y, and z components of the vector in each dimension. These components represent the magnitude and direction of the vector in three-dimensional space.

3. Can I use the distance formula for any type of vector?

The distance formula can be used for any type of vector, whether it is in two dimensions or three dimensions. However, it is important to note that the formula may differ for different types of vectors, such as polar or cylindrical vectors.

4. How do I know if I have drawn the vector correctly?

In order to ensure that you have drawn the vector correctly, you can use a few techniques. First, you can check that the length of the vector is accurate by comparing it to the known values of its components. Additionally, you can check the direction of the vector by using a protractor to measure the angle between the vector and a known reference line.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding the distance of a vector?

One common mistake when finding the distance of a vector is forgetting to take the square root of the sum of the squared components. Another mistake is using the wrong formula for the type of vector being calculated. It is also important to make sure the components are in the correct units and are labeled correctly to avoid any errors in the calculation.