How to find the temperature of a black body?

In summary, the black body emits protons with a frequency of 4 GHz, and has a photon energy of 2.65E-24 J.
sphys4

Homework Statement

It emits protons with a frequency of 4 GHz, and has a photon energy of 2.65E-24 J.

I tried to use the formula lambda=c/f=vT, but i am somehow getting a negative answer which doesn't make sense when trying to find temperature in (K).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need the equation involving Planck's Constant, denoted by h

NascentOxygen said:
You'll need the equation involving Planck's Constant, denoted by h
E=hc/lambda? So i solve for lambda and plug it into my above equation? Does v=4E+9?

sphys4 said:

Homework Statement

It emits protons with a frequency of 4 GHz, and has a photon energy of 2.65E-24 J.

Are you sure you have represented the question correctly? Because a hot body emits photons over a whole spectrum of energies.

And I presume you didn't intend to write "protons"? Otherwise, I'm outta here. :eek:

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Are you sure you have represented the question correctly? Because a hot body emits photons over a whole spectrum of energies.

And I presume you didn't intend to write "protons"? Otherwise, I'm outta here. :eek:

Ahh * photons.

And yes, this is the problem.
Suppose a blackbody emits photons strongly with a frequency near 4 GHz. What is the photon energy? And then i found the value that i stated above (in J), which is correct.

The question then asks for the temperature of the black body and that's where I am lost.

The wavelength where the radiation is maximum multiplied by the temperature is constant, lambda * T = b. How do you get the temperature?

ehild

sphys4 said:
Okay so i found lamba which i got .075

0.075m seems correct. So at 4GHz we are talking about microwave energy, way below visible light. (I wonder is this venturing beyond the limits of black body radiation equations?)

then divided that by b (the constant) and got 25.88 which is still wrong. :(

To find T you need to divide b by lambda.

Considering that the lowest temperature found in outer space is about 3 Kelvin, then I think you've taken us to another universe. :cool:

At least it's not a negative Kelvin. :uhh:

Did you invent this question, or it is out of a book?

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
0.075m seems correct. So at 4GHz we are talking about microwave energy, way below visible light. (I wonder is this venturing beyond the limits of black body radiation equations?)

To find T you need to divide b by lambda.

Considering that the lowest temperature found in outer space is about 3 Kelvin, then I think you've taken us to another universe. :cool:

At least it's not a negative Kelvin. :uhh:

Did you invent this question, or it is out of a book?

It's online homework that i copied and pasted, it's okay though.. thank you for your time and attempting!

1. What is a black body?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation that fall on it. It also emits radiation at all wavelengths, making it a perfect emitter of heat energy.

2. How is the temperature of a black body determined?

The temperature of a black body can be determined using Wien's displacement law, which states that the wavelength at which a black body emits the most radiation is inversely proportional to its temperature. This is known as the peak wavelength, and it can be used to calculate the temperature of the black body.

3. Why is it important to know the temperature of a black body?

Knowing the temperature of a black body is important in many scientific and engineering applications, as it can help us understand the behavior of objects and materials at certain temperatures. It is particularly useful in fields such as astronomy and thermodynamics.

4. How is a black body different from other objects?

A black body differs from other objects in that it absorbs all radiation that falls on it, whereas other objects may reflect or transmit radiation. This makes it a perfect emitter of heat energy, and its temperature is solely determined by the amount of radiation it absorbs.

5. Can the temperature of a black body change?

Yes, the temperature of a black body can change depending on the amount of radiation it absorbs and emits. As the temperature increases, the peak wavelength of its emission shifts to shorter wavelengths, and vice versa. However, a black body always follows Wien's displacement law, regardless of its temperature.