How to fit given function to blurred data points?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of fitting parameters of a function family to data given by probability distributions instead of exact coordinates. The goal was to find a general method that can work with any type of probability distribution and utilize all available information. The conversation mentioned using likelihood and minimization as keywords for finding a solution, and also discussed the concept of an "error-in-variables" model and a hierarchical approach for dealing with this type of problem. The conversation emphasized the importance of considering the error structure and using an iterative approach to find the optimal solution.
sceptic
Are there any elaborated theory or method how to fit parameters of a function family to data given by probability distributions of data points instead of given coordinates of points precisely without error? I think this is a very general problem, I hope it is already solved.

Important:

I would like a general method working with any kind of probability distribution around data points, not just a Gaussian which can be described an error value, for example its variance.

I would like to use all information which is available, so a fully Bayesian solution without unnecessary estimation.

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical statistics, you would set up the Likelihood for your parameters and maximize it.
Bayesian statistics is similar: you multiply the likelihood with the prior distributions of the the parameters to obtain the posterior probability distribution of the parameters.

Yes, I know all the principles. But I need a practical example with equations, maybe a book chapter or a paper with this kind of problem. For example what kind of keyword should I search for? The distributions can be the same, but not Gaussian. Is it practically possible to calculate at all? Maybe in general for lots of data point distributions the problem can exponentially explode, or can't?

Likelihood and minimization are good keywords. Usually the point of maximal likelihood is found with iterative approximations.
sceptic said:
Maybe in general for lots of data point distributions the problem can exponentially explode, or can't?
No, it is typically linear with data points (because you have to calculate the likelihood for each data point). Many free parameters can make the problem time-consuming, especially if they are highly correlated.

There is a concept of an "error-in-variables" model that deals with this kind of thing, although I'd probably just take a hierarchical approach. As an example, suppose that we have observed points ##(x_1,\dots,x_n)## from a normal distribution ##N(\mu,\tau^2)## which we assume are actually measured with normally distributed error ##N(0,\sigma^2_i)##. If ##x_i## has true value ##\mu_i## (which is unobserved), then we have ##x_i \sim N(\mu_i, \sigma^2_i)##, so the full model for the mean is
[tex] x_i = \mu_i + \epsilon_i, \ \ \ where \ \epsilon_i \sim N(0, \tau^2)[/tex]
or
[tex]x_i = \mu + e_i + \epsilon_i, \ \ \ where \ e_i \sim N(0, \sigma^2_i)[/tex]
Basically, we just model the error at two different levels.

A similar regression model might take the form

[tex]y_i = \alpha + \beta \mu_i + \epsilon[/tex]

Note that you can assume any kind of error structure you want; it doesn't have to be normal. The same general approach would still apply.

1. What is the purpose of fitting a given function to blurred data points?

The purpose of fitting a given function to blurred data points is to find a mathematical model that best describes the relationship between the data points. This allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data, even if it is not perfectly clear.

2. How do you determine which function to use for fitting blurred data points?

The function used for fitting blurred data points is typically determined by the type of data being analyzed. For example, linear functions are often used for data that shows a linear relationship, while polynomial functions may be used for data that shows a curved relationship. It is also important to consider the underlying principles and theories related to the data when selecting a function.

3. Can blurred data points be accurately fit with a single function?

In most cases, it is not possible to accurately fit blurred data points with a single function. This is because the data may contain noise or errors that cannot be captured by a single function. Instead, a combination of functions or a more complex model may be needed to accurately fit the data.

4. What methods are commonly used for fitting functions to blurred data points?

There are several methods that can be used for fitting functions to blurred data points, including least squares regression, maximum likelihood estimation, and Bayesian inference. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific data and research question.

5. How do you evaluate the accuracy of a fitted function for blurred data points?

The accuracy of a fitted function for blurred data points can be evaluated by comparing the predicted values from the function to the actual data points. This can be done through visual inspection, as well as statistical measures such as R-squared and root mean square error. It is also important to consider the underlying assumptions and limitations of the fitted function.