How to generate a pulsed signal on a function generator?

In summary, to set the pulse width on a function generator, adjust the duty cycle or pulse width knob on the device. Most function generators have the ability to generate multiple pulses in a single output using the pulse train or burst mode function. To adjust the frequency of the pulsed signal, use the frequency knob or buttons on the device or input a specific frequency using a keypad or computer interface. Custom pulse shapes can be generated using the arbitrary waveform function on the device. To synchronize the pulsed signal with other instruments, use the sync input or output on the function generator. Refer to the manual for specific instructions on how to use these features.
jeffderbiber
See attached file. I want to generate a waveform that looks like this using a function generator, where it repeats every f=1/T and the duty cycle is (t_d/t)x100.

Attachments

• signal.pdf
    115.4 KB · Views: 272
Engineering news on Phys.org
That is something the manual should describe, it will depend on the function generator.
Are those tails necessary?

1. How do I set the pulse width on a function generator?

To set the pulse width on a function generator, you will need to adjust the duty cycle or pulse width knob on the device. This knob controls the amount of time the pulse is in a high state compared to the low state, and can typically be adjusted in percentage or time units.

2. Can I generate multiple pulses in a single output on a function generator?

Yes, most function generators have the ability to generate multiple pulses in a single output. This is typically achieved by using the pulse train or burst mode function on the device. Refer to your specific function generator's manual for instructions on how to use this feature.

3. How do I adjust the frequency of the pulsed signal on a function generator?

To adjust the frequency of the pulsed signal on a function generator, you will need to use the frequency knob or buttons on the device. Some function generators also have the option to input a specific frequency using a keypad or computer interface. The frequency will determine the number of pulses generated per second.

4. Can I generate a custom pulse shape on a function generator?

Yes, many function generators have the ability to generate custom pulse shapes. This is typically done by using the arbitrary waveform function on the device, which allows you to input a specific waveform using a computer interface. Refer to your function generator's manual for instructions on how to use this feature.

5. How do I synchronize the pulsed signal on a function generator with other instruments?

To synchronize the pulsed signal on a function generator with other instruments, you will need to use the sync input or output on the device. This allows you to sync the pulse with an external trigger or signal from another instrument. Consult your function generator's manual for instructions on how to use this feature.