1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get constant 12V from this step up converter

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working on solar charge controller for 12V battery..From solar panel 8 to 16V variable input goes to step up converter which will double available input voltage and then there would be some
    circuit which will make output of converter circuit constant at 12V..simulation of solar panel with
    step up converter I have done but facing problem how to make it constant in order to provide proper charging to 12V battery.Regulator IC I can not use because there must be some novality in proposed work.

[2]. Relevant equations[/b]

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2014 #2
    Well in leiu of using a DC/DC converter that has the output you want, a regulator would be the only way to ensure a stable voltage. If you can't use an off the shelf package you could always make the regulator yourself out of discrete components.

The simplest way of doing it is having a zener diode with a current limiting resistor. Better regulators are less trivial to create.

4. Jun 8, 2014 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not an expert on solar panels but don't they have a optimum operating point? So perhaps your circuit should control the current drawn by the charger to keep the panel close to this operating point?

5. Jun 8, 2014 #4
    optimum point for voltage from solar panel is 13V around

6. Jun 10, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

But a 12V power source will not charge a 12V battery...

7. Jun 11, 2014 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think he means literally 12V, just an output suitable for charging a 12V battery which needs more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted