How to get constant 12V from this step up converter

In summary, the problem is trying to find a way to make the regulator constant so that the solar panel's voltage is maintained at the optimum point.
Hina Gohar

Homework Statement

I am working on solar charge controller for 12V battery..From solar panel 8 to 16V variable input goes to step up converter which will double available input voltage and then there would be some
circuit which will make output of converter circuit constant at 12V..simulation of solar panel with
step up converter I have done but facing problem how to make it constant in order to provide proper charging to 12V battery.Regulator IC I can not use because there must be some novality in proposed work.

[2]. Relevant equations[/b]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• physcc.jpg
    physcc.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
Hina Gohar said:
Regulator IC I can not use because there must be some novality in proposed work.

Well in leiu of using a DC/DC converter that has the output you want, a regulator would be the only way to ensure a stable voltage. If you can't use an off the shelf package you could always make the regulator yourself out of discrete components.

The simplest way of doing it is having a zener diode with a current limiting resistor. Better regulators are less trivial to create.

I'm not an expert on solar panels but don't they have a optimum operating point? So perhaps your circuit should control the current drawn by the charger to keep the panel close to this operating point?

CWatters said:
I'm not an expert on solar panels but don't they have a optimum operating point? So perhaps your circuit should control the current drawn by the charger to keep the panel close to this operating point?

optimum point for voltage from solar panel is 13V around

Hina Gohar said:

Homework Statement

I am working on solar charge controller for 12V battery..From solar panel 8 to 16V variable input goes to step up converter which will double available input voltage and then there would be some
circuit which will make output of converter circuit constant at 12V..simulation of solar panel with
step up converter I have done but facing problem how to make it constant in order to provide proper charging to 12V battery.Regulator IC I can not use because there must be some novality in proposed work.

[2]. Relevant equations[/b]

The Attempt at a Solution

But a 12V power source will not charge a 12V battery...

I don't think he means literally 12V, just an output suitable for charging a 12V battery which needs more.

1. How do I connect the input and output of the step up converter to get a constant 12V output?

The input of the step up converter should be connected to a power source, such as a battery or power supply, and the output should be connected to your desired load. Make sure to check the polarity of the input and output connections to avoid damaging the converter or your devices.

2. Can I use any type of power source with the step up converter to get a constant 12V output?

The step up converter can typically be used with a variety of power sources, such as batteries, AC adapters, or solar panels. However, it is important to check the specifications of your specific converter to ensure compatibility with your chosen power source.

3. How can I adjust the output voltage of the step up converter to get a constant 12V?

Most step up converters have a variable output voltage that can be adjusted using a potentiometer or trimmer resistor. Consult the manual or datasheet of your converter for specific instructions on how to adjust the output voltage.

4. What is the maximum current output of the step up converter when using a 12V output?

The maximum current output of the step up converter will depend on the specific model and its capabilities. Be sure to check the datasheet or manual for the maximum current output at a 12V output voltage to ensure it can meet the needs of your devices.

5. Can I use multiple step up converters in parallel to increase the output current to get a constant 12V?

While it is technically possible to use multiple step up converters in parallel, it is generally not recommended as it can lead to uneven current distribution and potential damage to the converters. It is better to use a single converter with a higher output current rating to meet your needs.