Graphing Vector Fields: How to Determine Grid Size and Plot Vectors?

In summary, when graphing vector fields, it is important to first choose a region of interest and set up a grid on that region. Then, at each grid intersection point, draw a vector with its tail at the point and its direction based on the vector field value at that point. It may be necessary to adjust the grid spacing to better visualize the field.
LinearAlgebra
What are the general rules that one should use in graphing vector fields. I'm having a lot of trouble doing this and don't really know where to start.

If you take F(x,y) = -yi + xj

What should be the next step in terms of graphing? They have it drawn in our book as a bunch of vectors that form a bunch of cirles within each other...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Choose some point (x,y), Caculate the vector F(x,y)= -yi+ xi, draw that vector starting at (x,y) (with its "tail" at (x,y)).

Choose another point (x,y), Repeat.

That's all there is to it.

I know, its a stupid question. I just don't understand how to choose the points. The book has the points (1,0) (0,1) (-1,0) (0,-1) etc...how did they get this?

You can't plot the field for every point because all you would see is black (assuming the vectors are in black). Therefore, you want to sample the space, usually on a grid. Coarsen the grid if you see so much black that you can't see the vectors, and refine the grid if the vectors are so widely spaced that you can't visualize the field.

Okay, I'm sorry, i still just don't get it. Can someone just explain this step by step in terms of what i should be thinking or plotting?

You want to view a vector field over a finite-sized region of [itex]\mathbb R^2[/itex]. The first thing to do is to determine this region of interest. I will assume (just for illustration) that you want to look at the vector field from 0 to 10 in x and y. The next thing to do is to set up a grid on this interval. For example, a 1x1 grid. You will draw a vector at each grid intersection point. (In this example, this means 121 vectors.) For each grid intersection point (x,y), determine the vector field value F(x,y), and plot that vector with tail at (x,y).

You can do a bit better than just guessing how finely to make the grid. You will have a hard time seeing the field if the vectors cross multiple grid lines or if the vectors are a lot smaller than the space between grid lines. As a first guess, make the grid spacing about equal to the magnitude of the largest vector. Then fine-tune so it looks good.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to every point in a given space. In other words, it is a way of visualizing how a vector changes as it moves through different points in space.

How do you represent a vector field graphically?

A vector field can be represented graphically by drawing arrows at different points in the space, with the length and direction of the arrow indicating the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point.

What is the purpose of graphing vector fields?

Graphing vector fields allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of vectors in a given space. It can also help in solving problems involving vector operations and analyzing physical phenomena such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields.

How do you interpret a vector field graph?

The direction of the arrows in a vector field graph indicates the direction of the vector at that point, while the length of the arrows represents the magnitude of the vector. Additionally, the density of the arrows can show how the vector changes in different regions of the space.

What are some common techniques for graphing vector fields?

Some common techniques for graphing vector fields include using a computer program such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha, using a plotting tool like a compass or protractor, or using a grid or graph paper to manually plot the vectors.