How to integral ? How can they ignore that variable?

In summary, the conversation discusses case 1 and case 2 of an equation involving integration and the constant "r." The conversation clarifies that r is not ignored in case 1, but rather its reciprocal is multiplied to both sides before integrating. It is also noted that r is not constant, but the fact that its derivative is 0 implies that it is constant. The conversation also discusses the correct integration of the equation and clarifies any confusion.
Outrageous

Homework Statement

I don't understand case 1. In case 2 that is normal integration , isn't?
Then why case 1 can simply ignore the r ? I don't think r is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please guide. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please upload your attachment again, but oriented so people can read it.

Last edited:
This way? No sure is that correct .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 377
It's upside-down now. You can edit your post and try uploading the attachment again.

Sorry, I don't really know how to use it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 364
Outrageous said:

Homework Statement

I don't understand case 1. In case 2 that is normal integration , isn't?
Then why case 1 can simply ignore the r ? I don't think r is constant.

Are you talking about the equation$$
\frac m r \frac{d(r^2\dot \theta)}{dt}=0$$giving ##r^2\dot \theta=l##? If so, they didn't ignore the ##\frac m r##. They multiplied both sides by its reciprocal before integrating.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Nobody said r was constant. But the fact that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(r^2\theta') = 0 [/itex] does imply that [itex]r^2\theta' = C [/itex] is constant (why?).

(1/r)(dr/dt)= 0 , (dr/dt)= 0
∫ dr = ∫ 0 dt
The answer should be r = constant.
Isn't ?
Can the answer be ∫(1/r)dr= ∫dt .
Then ln(r/ro)= t. Integral from ro to r , and integral from 0 to t. ro is original value r.

I thought you said you were puzzled about 1, not 2.

Outrageous said:
(1/r)(dr/dt)= 0 , (dr/dt)= 0
∫ dr = ∫ 0 dt
The answer should be r = constant.
Isn't ?

Yes, that's right.

Can the answer be ∫(1/r)dr= ∫dt .
Then ln(r/ro)= t. Integral from ro to r , and integral from 0 to t. ro is original value r.

##\int \frac 1 r\, dr = \int 0\, dt##, not ##\int 1\, dt##.

I got it. Thanks much

1. How do I know which variable to integrate with respect to?

To determine which variable to integrate with respect to, you need to look at the integrand (the expression inside the integral symbol). The variable that is being integrated is typically the one that appears in the expression. For example, if the expression is f(x), then you would integrate with respect to x.

2. Can I integrate with respect to more than one variable?

Yes, it is possible to perform a multiple integral, which involves integrating with respect to two or more variables. This is commonly used in applications such as finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape or calculating the center of mass of an object.

3. What happens to the other variables when I integrate with respect to one variable?

When you integrate with respect to one variable, the other variables are treated as constants and remain unchanged. They are essentially "ignored" in the integration process, which is why it is important to choose the correct variable to integrate with respect to.

4. Why is it important to include the constant of integration?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the result of an indefinite integral. This is because when we differentiate a function, the constant term disappears. Therefore, to account for this loss of information, we include the constant of integration when performing an indefinite integral.

5. How do I evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you need to first find the antiderivative (the function that when differentiated, gives you the original integrand). Then, plug in the upper and lower limits of integration and subtract the result at the upper limit from the result at the lower limit. This will give you the numerical value of the definite integral.