How to integrate the last two terms in that integral

In summary, the person was having trouble integrating a term and distribution of power helped them figure out how to do it.
7yler
I'm having trouble with integrating this. [tex]\int_1^8 \sqrt{9x^{4}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{144x^{4}}} dx[/tex]

I can get the problem down to [tex]\int_1^8 9x^{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{144x^{2}}} dx[/tex] , but I don't know how to integrate the last two terms in that integral. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

7yler said:
I'm having trouble with integrating this. [tex]\int_1^8 \sqrt{9x^{4}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{144x^{4}}} dx[/tex]

I can get the problem down to [tex]\int_1^8 9x^{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{144x^{2}}} dx[/tex] , but I don't know how to integrate the last two terms in that integral. Am I doing something wrong?

How did you get it down to [tex]\int_1^8 9x^{2}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{144x^{2}}} dx[/tex]? It doesn't look correct to me. Can you show us the steps so that we can check them for you?

Hint: Since there's a big square root, one should first try to Complete the Square.

I distributed the (1/2) power among everything under the radical. Is that incorrect?

7yler said:
I distributed the (1/2) power among everything under the radical. Is that incorrect?
Is [tex]\sqrt{1+1+1}=\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{1}+\sqrt{1}\ ?[/tex]

I so , then [tex]\sqrt{3}=3\,.[/tex]

7yler said:

Yes, that's completely wrong. You can't do that with a sum inside a square root.

VietDao29 said:
Hint: Since there's a big square root, one should first try to Complete the Square.
I would instead find a common denominator and add the three fractions.

7yler said:

You seem not to know how to Complete the Square.

Roughly speaking, Complete the Square is the manipulation you do to change your expression into something like: (ax + b)2 + c2. Where a, b, and c are all constant.

Say, your expression is:
[tex]4x ^ 2 + 8x + 8[/tex]

Here's how you would do it. You'll try to split your expression into a square. Note that:
(a + b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2

[tex]4x ^ 2 + 8x + 8 = (2x) ^ 2 + 8x + 8 = (2x) ^ 2 + 2.(2x).2 + 8 = \left[(2x) ^ 2 + 2.(2x).2 + 2 ^ 2 \right] + 4 = (2x + 2) ^ 2 + 4[/tex].

Another example is:
[tex]x ^ 2 + 5 + \frac{1}{4x ^ 2} = x ^ 2 + \left( \frac{1}{2x} \right) ^ 2 + 5 = x ^ 2 + 2.x.\frac{1}{2x} + \left( \frac{1}{2x} \right) ^ 2 + 4 = \left( x + \frac{1}{2x} \right) ^ 2 + 4[/tex].

Let's see if you can Complete the Square for:
[tex]9x^{4}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{144x^{4}}[/tex] :)

I do not know how to complete the square since x is in the denominator. I can get it to [tex](3x^{2})^{2}+(\frac{1}{12x^{2}})^{2}= -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

7yler said:
I do not know how to complete the square since x is in the denominator. I can get it to [tex](3x^{2})^{2}+(\frac{1}{12x^{2}})^{2}= -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The identity we should use here is:
(a + b)2 = a2 + 2ab + b2

In your problem:
3x2 is a
1/(12x2) is b.

So, what should you add to make it becomes (a + b)2?

Don't make it become an equation like this: [tex](3x^{2})^{2}+(\frac{1}{12x^{2}})^{2}= -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

You can look again at my 2 examples to have some ideas.

So 2ab is 1/2.
Then if we have the square root of (a+b)^2, that equals (a+b), and b still has x in the denominator, so how do I integrate that?

Rewrite
[tex]\frac{1}{12x^2}[/tex]
as an expression with a negative exponent, and then use the power rule.

Wow. I'm really off of my game tonight. I finally got it worked out. Thank you everyone for your help. I truly appreciate it.

1. What does it mean to integrate the last two terms in an integral?

Integrating the last two terms in an integral means finding the antiderivative, or the original function, of those terms. This is done by using integration techniques such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts.

2. Why is it important to integrate the last two terms in an integral?

Integrating the last two terms is important because it allows us to find the total area under a curve and solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use for the last two terms?

There are several integration techniques that can be used for different types of functions. It is important to look at the structure of the terms and choose the appropriate technique, or to use algebraic manipulation to simplify the terms before integrating.

4. Can I integrate the last two terms separately?

In most cases, it is not possible to integrate the last two terms separately. The integral is a single mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of the entire expression, not just individual terms.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to integrating the last two terms?

There are some techniques that can make integration easier, such as recognizing patterns or using trigonometric identities. However, in most cases, integration requires practice and familiarity with various techniques, so it is important to understand the fundamentals and practice regularly.