How to maximize the efficiency of the corona discharge generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Wimshurst electrostatic generator to create a corona discharge and the role of metal spheres in concentrating the discharge. It also addresses how to determine the polarity of the two conductor parts and suggests using a neon lamp or a high voltage power line to observe corona discharge in real life. Additionally, the conversation mentions using YouTube videos as a resource for further understanding.
Christofer Br
Hi, I have a wirmhurst electrostatic generator and I want to use it to create a corona discharge. My common sense tells me that the metal "shaft", which connects to the metal spheres should lead to significant (electron) leak, since it has a much smaller radius of curvature than said spheres. If I removed those spheres, would the corona discharge still be present mainly at the "tip" of the conducting part and would it be stronger, or are those metal spheres actually helping to concentrate the corona discharge in one spot?

Also, how to know which of the two conductor parts will be nagetively charged?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you didn't attract any answers.
Christofer Br said:
If I removed those spheres, would the corona discharge still be present mainly at the "tip" of the conducting part

I believe that the answers to that is, "Yes"

Christofer Br said:
would it be stronger,
No.

But I do not have references or calculations to support those answers. They are just educated guesses.

Likes Tom.G
To expand on the correct responses from @anorlunda:
Christofer Br said:
If I removed those spheres, would the corona discharge still be present mainly at the "tip" of the conducting part and would it be stronger
As you are aware, the most discharge will be at spots of high curvature. This is because the strength of the electric field is higher there. The ball electrodes are used to keep the electric field lower so enough voltage can build up to jump the spark gap. Since you are after a corona discharge, replace the balls with a sharp point; you could even just tape a sewing needle to the existing balls!

As for the corona discharger being "stronger", that depends on how you define stronger. The voltage will be lower but the current density will be higher, that is the current will be concentrated at the tip of the needles. If you want a higher current, try spinning the Wimshurst disks faster.

Christofer Br said:
Also, how to know which of the two conductor parts will be nagetively charged?

You can use a Neon lamp to test polarity, one of those $5 electrical testers to check if a wall outlet has power would work. A Neon lamp is sometimes called a "negative glow lamp." It is a glass enclosure with a wire brought out from each of two electrodes, and the enclosure is filled with Neon gas and sealed. When a DC voltage is applied the Neon gas will glow at the Negative electrode. Also, the video below shows (at 9:06) how to get a Wimshurst "started" or "charged", this approach may enable you to set the desired polarity.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKwU0KVbaMdcU2Jn3hLLkY4CSOX30GbxfaMF4KCUjvljlYcwxGww.jpg

NEON TESTER

157 000 hits found with: https://www.google.com/search?&q=wimshurst+machine

A rather detailed explanation:

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKwU0KVbaMdcU2Jn3hLLkY4CSOX30GbxfaMF4KCUjvljlYcwxGww.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKwU0KVbaMdcU2Jn3hLLkY4CSOX30GbxfaMF4KCUjvljlYcwxGww.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 535
Hello
What is Corona how it work

Hello
How to watch corona in real life on wire

RITESHH KAKKAR said:
Hello
How to watch corona in real life on wire

That's a very good question. If you have a high voltage (such as 500KV) power transmission line near you, go out on a dark night and watch.

602925_554450337906403_1110756599_n.jpg

Also, search for "corona discharge" on Youtube. There are several videos.

Attachments

• 602925_554450337906403_1110756599_n.jpg
    602925_554450337906403_1110756599_n.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 748
Likes berkeman
Hello
Is it seen by Camera or simple eyes

1. How does the corona discharge generator work?

The corona discharge generator works by creating a high voltage electrical field between two electrodes, which ionizes the air particles between them. This ionization produces a corona discharge, which can be used for various applications such as air purification, ozone generation, and surface treatment.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a corona discharge generator?

The efficiency of a corona discharge generator can be affected by several factors, including the voltage applied, the distance between the electrodes, the type and number of electrodes, and the composition of the gas being ionized. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also play a role.

3. How can the efficiency of a corona discharge generator be measured?

The efficiency of a corona discharge generator can be measured by calculating the ratio of the output energy (such as ozone production) to the input energy (such as electrical energy). This can be done through experiments or by using mathematical models to predict the efficiency based on the generator's design and operating parameters.

4. Are there any techniques to maximize the efficiency of a corona discharge generator?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help maximize the efficiency of a corona discharge generator. These include optimizing the voltage and electrode configuration, using the appropriate gas composition, and controlling environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the electrodes can also help improve efficiency.

5. What are some common applications of corona discharge generators?

Corona discharge generators have a wide range of applications, including air purification, water treatment, surface treatment, and ozone generation. They are also used in various industries such as healthcare, agriculture, and electronics manufacturing. Additionally, these generators have been studied for potential uses in alternative energy production and propulsion systems.