How to measure signal from a piezoelectric sensor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a piezoelectric sensor in a pill to measure the adsorption of a molecule in the stomach, specifically ammonia. The question is raised about how to detect the changes in frequency without any physical electrical connections with the outside, and the possibility of using ultrasound is considered. Other options for sensors are also mentioned.
jen0leb
Hello, I'm not an electrical engineering student so please bare with me...
anyways if let's say you swallow a pill containing a piezoelectric sensor to measure adsorption of a molecule in the stomach how can you detect the changes in frequency? if there is no "physical" electrical connections with the outside. can it be detected using ultrasound? and how?
and if you think I'm better off with another type of sensor for this type of measurement, I'm open for ur suggestions..
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Mythbusters used a pill thermometer to take their core body temperature from inside their body, and it communicated with a receiver with radio waves.

I don't know if you'd be able to design something like this though.

jen0leb said:
if let's say you swallow a pill containing a piezoelectric sensor to measure adsorption of a molecule in the stomach how can you detect the changes in frequency?

The changes of frequency of what, exactly? How is the biochemistry meant to affect the piezo sensor?

well I'm trying to measure the concentration of ammonia so when it adsorbs on the surface of the sensors it causes the frequency changes Δf because of Δm applied. i got this idea from the heidelberg PH pill that gives out the measurements by radio transmission, and i was hoping that there's a way i can do that with a piezoelectric sensor. :)

1. How do I set up the equipment to measure signal from a piezoelectric sensor?

To measure the signal from a piezoelectric sensor, you will need a power source, an oscilloscope, and a resistor. Connect the power source to the sensor and the resistor in series, and then connect the resistor to the oscilloscope. Make sure to use the correct voltage and resistance values for your specific sensor.

2. What is the best way to calibrate a piezoelectric sensor for accurate signal measurement?

The best way to calibrate a piezoelectric sensor is to use a known force or pressure and compare the output signal to the expected value. This can be done by placing the sensor in a controlled environment with a known force applied, or by using a calibration device specifically designed for piezoelectric sensors.

3. How do I determine the sensitivity of a piezoelectric sensor?

The sensitivity of a piezoelectric sensor is typically measured in pC/N (picocoulombs per Newton). To determine the sensitivity, apply a known force or pressure to the sensor and measure the resulting charge output. Divide the charge output by the applied force to calculate the sensitivity.

4. Can I measure signal from a piezoelectric sensor with a multimeter?

No, a multimeter is not suitable for measuring signal from a piezoelectric sensor. Piezoelectric sensors produce a voltage signal, while multimeters are designed to measure direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC) signals. An oscilloscope is the recommended instrument for measuring the signal from a piezoelectric sensor.

5. How can I minimize noise in the signal measurements from a piezoelectric sensor?

Noise can be introduced to the signal from a piezoelectric sensor due to external factors such as electromagnetic interference. To minimize noise, keep the sensor and its cables away from sources of interference, use shielded cables, and make sure all connections are secure. Grounding the sensor and equipment can also help reduce noise in the signal.