Calculate Sum of Charges at Point A/B

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of combining 3 charges (q1, q2, and q3) at an arbitrary point A or B on a plane to compute the resulting charge. The homework equations provided suggest using force, voltage, or electric field to solve the problem. However, it is not possible to directly place a charge at an arbitrary point and the charge at point A is zero. The possibility of computing the potential or electric field at point B is also discussed, with the consideration that the sphere is hollow and conducting.
somasimple
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Attached figure.
3 charges : q1, q2 and q3 are on a plane (for simplification).
We want to compute the resulting charge at some point of the plane.
1/ Is it possible to sum (for computation) these charges to an arbitrary point A?
2/ or B?

Homework Equations

these ones ?
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1160/Ch17/Vector.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/mulpoi.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I supposse I can't do it directly. I may use force or voltage or electric field?

Attachments

• 3_charges_02.jpg
    3_charges_02.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're looking for. The charge at point A is zero, because there is no charge there.

I want to combine the 3 charges at point A or B.
I know that is possible to compute the voltage V=kq1/r1...
I'm interested in the result charge (virtual).

You can determine the potential or electric field at the point A, but you can't just reform the problem and just place a charge at an arbitrary point.

OK thanks but is it possible to compute the potential or EF at B (since distance becomes null)?

Well, if B is a point inside the sphere, and if the said sphere is hollow, then you can find the electric field I think...of course, the field will be zero inside the shell if its conducting.

Thanks.

1. How do you calculate the sum of charges at point A/B?

The sum of charges at point A/B can be calculated by adding together the individual charges at that point. This can be done by using the equation Q = ne, where Q is the total charge, n is the number of charges, and e is the elementary charge.

2. What is the significance of calculating the sum of charges at point A/B?

Calculating the sum of charges at point A/B is important because it helps us understand the overall electric field at that point. This can provide valuable information for studying the behavior of electric charges and their interactions.

3. Can the sum of charges at point A/B be negative?

Yes, the sum of charges at point A/B can be negative if there are more negative charges than positive charges at that point. This indicates a net negative charge at that point.

4. How does distance affect the sum of charges at point A/B?

As distance increases, the sum of charges at point A/B decreases due to the inverse square law. This means that the electric field strength decreases as the distance from the charges increases.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the sum of charges at point A/B?

The calculation of the sum of charges at point A/B assumes that the charges are stationary and not moving. It also assumes that the charges are evenly distributed at that point. In reality, this may not always be the case and can affect the accuracy of the calculation.