How would daily life change if the speed of light was lowered to 20m/s?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of relativity on daily activities if the speed of light was lowered to 20m/s. The effects mentioned include red-shifting and blue-shifting of lights, misjudging the weight of a liquid due to its velocity, and noticing the increase in thickness of water while washing dishes. In a car, one would experience time contraction and irrational early arrival to work when traveling at speeds close to the lowered speed of light. This topic is being explored for an essay in a Relativity course and the speaker is seeking feedback on their thoughts and ideas.
Jlinc
I'm doing an essay for a Relativity course on the relativistic effects which would occur in daily life if the speed of light was somehow...lowered to a number such as 20m/s.

My question is: "How would relativity affect motion though a liquid (such as swimming through a pool) at speeds such as 10m/s or 15m/s (1/2c to 3/4c).

Physics news on Phys.org
This kind of low-c exercise can be a lot of fun. I have my students do in-class presentations on them when I teach special relativity.

Since this is a school exercise, you should give us your thoughts first and then we can give you feedback. It wouldn't be appropriate for us to do your assignment for you.

Alrighty I'll outline the effects I am writing about and what I think will happen.

Taillights of a car moving away from me (Im at rest)
---> Lights will be red-shifted
Headlights of a car moving toward from me (Im at rest)
---> lights will be blue-shifted
Holding a coffee cup in mid-air while I pour some morning joe' in it
--->misjudge the weight of the incoming liquid (due to the liquid's velocity)
Wash breakfast dishes
---> Notice how the water's thickness increases (Im unsure about this...)
See some joggers run by as I look out the window
---> See their body contort toward the direction of motion, as their legs are unproportionally small compared to their torso.

In a car:
Complain about how its seemingly impossible to travel past 72km/h (c=20m/s)
Arriving to work "irrationally" early due to time contraction from the velocity.

Hows it all look? :smile:

Related to How would daily life change if the speed of light was lowered to 20m/s?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does relativity affect our daily lives?

Relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, particularly in the realm of technology. GPS devices, for example, use the principles of relativity to accurately determine location and time. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators.

3. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property of a fluid that describes how easily it can be deformed and how quickly it will return to its original state. Liquids with a high viscosity, like honey, flow slowly, while those with low viscosity, like water, flow more easily.

4. How does viscosity affect the movement of objects?

The viscosity of a fluid affects the movement of objects in that fluid. Objects moving through high viscosity fluids experience more resistance and require more energy to move compared to objects in low viscosity fluids. This is why it is more difficult to move through water than air.

5. What are some real-world applications of viscosity?

Viscosity has numerous real-world applications, including in the food and beverage industry, where it is used to control the texture and consistency of products. It is also crucial in the design and operation of engines, as the viscosity of motor oil affects its ability to lubricate and protect moving parts. Viscosity is also a critical factor in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents.