How Much Kinetic Energy to Accelerate a Proton to 0.9999c?

In summary, mass and kinetic energy are two important concepts in physics. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is 1/2 times mass times velocity squared. This means that the larger the mass and/or velocity of an object, the greater its kinetic energy will be. Additionally, kinetic energy can be transformed into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, through processes like work and heat. Understanding mass and kinetic energy is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and their interactions with each other.
StillLearningToronto
Thread moved from Technical Forum.
Question:

Calculate the kinetic energy required to accelerate a single proton from rest position to 0.9999c. The mass of the proton is 1.67*10^-27 kg.

Equations Used:
Ek=(mc^2/√ 1-(v^2/c^2))-mc^2

Attempt at the problem:

Ek=(1.67*10^-27kg)(3*10^8m/s)^2/√ 1-(0.9999c^2/c^2))-1.67*10^-27kg)(3*10^8m/s)^2
Ek=(1.5*10^-10/0.01)-1.5*10^-10
Ek= 1.48*10^-8

(sorry if its jumbled, I am used to writing it out in my equation editor)

I'm not fairly confident on this answer because I have found different answers online saying it was correct.

Just looking for someone to verify this, or at least point me in the right direction,
Cheers xx

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your arithmetic, but an answer like "Ek= 1.48*10^-8" can never be right. Are you sure you aren't forgetting something? :oldtongue:

JoePhysics said:
I didn't check your arithmetic, but an answer like "Ek= 1.48*10^-8" can never be right. Are you sure you aren't forgetting something? :oldtongue:
Im very positive I am missing something.

This is what i found online:

Ekrest = mc2
Ekrest = (1.67*10^-27)(c)2
Ekrest = 1.5*10^-10

Ek= (1.5*10^-10)/√(1.9999*10^-4)-(1.5*10^-10)
EK=1.047*10^-8J

But i have NO idea how they got (1.9999*10^-4)

StillLearningToronto said:

Are you sure that everything is properly "squared" away?

Last edited:
StillLearningToronto said:
I too have no idea how they got this number or what it means, but their numerical answer 1.047×10-8 J agrees with what I got. So let me guide you through the steps that I took.
1. Write an expression for the total energy of the proton using the Lorentz factor γ.
2. Subtract the rest mass energy to find the kinetic energy of the proton.
3. Put in the numbers.

What is mass and kinetic energy?

Mass is a physical property of matter that measures the amount of material in an object. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How are mass and kinetic energy related?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as an object's mass increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy increases exponentially.

What are some examples of objects with high kinetic energy?

Examples of objects with high kinetic energy include moving vehicles such as cars, trains, and airplanes, as well as rotating objects like a spinning top or a rolling ball.

How is mass and kinetic energy measured?

Mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) using a scale or balance. Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J) using the formula KE=1/2mv^2, where m is mass in kilograms and v is velocity in meters per second.

Can mass and kinetic energy be converted into each other?

No, mass and kinetic energy are not interchangeable. While mass can affect an object's kinetic energy, they are two separate properties and cannot be converted into each other.