Hydrostatics - pressure increases with depth

In summary, Derive the fact that hydrostatic pressure increases linearly with depth under the surface of a fluid (assumed to be of constant density). If density is also allowed to vary with depth, then your answer would change. The force per unit volume in a fluid is simply -\nabla p. A block of mass 'm' and density ' \rho ' is suspended from a spring (with spring constant k) in a fluid of density \rho_f < \rho . Drive an expression for the extension of the spring from its equilibrium length.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

i)Derive the fact that hydrostatic pressure increases linearly with depth under the surface of a fluid (assumed to be of constant density). Comment on how your answer would change if density is also allowed to vary with depth.

ii) Show that the force per unit volume in a fluid is simply [tex] -\nabla p [/tex]

iii) A block of mass 'm' and density '[tex] \rho [/tex]' is suspended from a spring (with spring constant k) in a fluid of density [tex] \rho_f < \rho [/tex]. Drive an expression for the extension of the spring from its equilibrium length.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have been staring at this for a while not knowing how to start. I've only had one lecture on this in the class so far. It was pretty basic, archemide's principle, force is normal to object, pressure is a function of depth, yada yada yada...

Also I remember the del notation from Calculus III, but haven't used it yet in Physics. I remember its [tex] \nabla f = < \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} , \frac {\partial f}{\partial y} , \frac {\partial f}{\partial z} > [/tex] and I think this is the direction and slope of greatest rate of change? I can't think of how this applies to part ii.
Any tips on any of the parts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets try part one first. Just a hint but consider the forces acting on either ends of a cylinder of liquid that is in equilibrium and has a uniform density. The force acts over the area of the cylinder ends hence introducing pressure.

Yeah, for the third part, [tex]kx_0=mg[/tex] (initially). When its immersed it the liquid, by the archemedes principle, it experiences a loss in weight. Use that for the weight, subtract the two and you'll have your [tex]dx[/tex]

Kurdt said:
Lets try part one first. Just a hint but consider the forces acting on either ends of a cylinder of liquid that is in equilibrium and has a uniform density. The force acts over the area of the cylinder ends hence introducing pressure.

I tried using a small box, and for force I get
[tex] F = dy dz ((p (x,y,z) - p (x+dx,y,z)) \check{i} + dz dx ((p(x,y,z) - p(x, y+ dy, z)) \check{j} + dy dz ((p(x.y.z) - p(x,y,z+dz)) \check{k} [/tex]

Is this at all helpful/along the lines of where I need to go?

chaoseverlasting said:
Yeah, for the third part, [tex]kx_0=mg[/tex] (initially). When its immersed it the liquid, by the archemedes principle, it experiences a loss in weight. Use that for the weight, subtract the two and you'll have your [tex]dx[/tex]
I found the force on the object to be

[tex]F = vg(\rho - \rho_f)[/tex]

set that equal to kx, and get [tex] x = \frac{vg(\rho - \rho_f)}{k} [/tex]

I think that's it...

I think you're over-complicating things here.

Say the force on the top of the cylinder (or cuboid) at the surface is P0A and the force on the bottom of the cylinder supporting it is PA. Then the bottom face of the cylinder must be in equilibrium therefore PA = P0A + Mg.

Solve for P.

Actually, I think you've made a mistake somewhere. [tex]mg=kx_0[/tex]...(1)
[tex]m=\rho V[/tex]
[tex]V=\frac{m}{\rho}[/tex]
[tex]F_b=\rho _v V[/tex]
[tex]kx=mg-F_b[/tex]...(2)
(2)-(1)
[tex]k(x-x_0)=\rho _v \frac{m}{\rho}[/tex]
[tex]x-x_0=\rho_v \frac{m}{k\rho}[/tex]

1. What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the study of fluids at rest or in equilibrium. It focuses on the effects of pressure and gravity on fluids.

2. How does pressure increase with depth in hydrostatics?

In hydrostatics, pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above. This is known as Pascal's principle, which states that pressure in a fluid is transmitted equally in all directions.

3. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic pressure is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

4. How does the density of a fluid affect hydrostatic pressure?

The density of a fluid has a direct impact on hydrostatic pressure. The higher the density of the fluid, the greater the hydrostatic pressure at a given depth. This is because denser fluids have more mass and therefore exert more force.

5. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics has many practical applications, including measuring blood pressure, designing and operating dams and reservoirs, and calculating the buoyant force on objects submerged in water. It is also used in engineering and construction for designing and maintaining structures that are in contact with fluids, such as ships and submarines.