Hyperbolic functions and its tangent

In summary, we found the equation of the tangent to the curve y^3 + x^2 \cosh y + \sinh^3 x = 8 at the point (0, 2) by first finding the derivative and gradient at this point. Substituting the values of x = 0 and y = 2 into the equation, we get a gradient of 0, resulting in the equation y = 2 for the tangent line.
ultima9999
Just want to check my answer.

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve [tex]y^3 + x^2 \cosh y + \sinh^3 x = 8[/tex] at the point (0, 2)

I firstly found the derivative and the gradient of the curve at point (0, 2)

[tex]3y^2 \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + x \cosh y + x^2 \sinh y \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} (3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y) = - x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{- x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x}{3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y}[/tex]

Substitute [tex]x = 0\ \mbox{and}\ y = 2[/tex] into the equation and I get a gradient of 0 at point (0, 2).

[tex]\begin{align*}
y - 2 = 0 (x - 0) \\
\Rightarrow y = 2
\end{align*}[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the tangent at point (0, 2) is [tex]y = 2[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You missed a 2 coeff on the xcoshy term in the first step, I fixed it in the quote: you answer is correct however.

ultima9999 said:
Just want to check my answer.

Find the equation of the tangent to the curve [tex]y^3 + x^2 \cosh y + \sinh^3 x = 8[/tex] at the point (0, 2)

I firstly found the derivative and the gradient of the curve at point (0, 2)

[tex]3y^2 \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + 2x \cosh y + x^2 \sinh y \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} + 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x = 0[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} (3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y) = -2 x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-2 x \cosh y - 3 \sinh^3 x \cosh x}{3y^2 + x^2 \sinh y}[/tex]

Substitute [tex]x = 0\ \mbox{and}\ y = 2[/tex] into the equation and I get a gradient of 0 at point (0, 2).

[tex]\begin{align*}
y - 2 = 0 (x - 0) \\
\Rightarrow y = 2
\end{align*}[/tex]

Therefore, the equation of the tangent at point (0, 2) is [tex]y = 2[/tex]

1. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are a set of mathematical functions that are analogous to trigonometric functions. They are used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a hyperbola, just as trigonometric functions are used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

2. What is the difference between regular trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions?

The main difference between regular trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions is that while regular trigonometric functions are based on circles, hyperbolic functions are based on hyperbolas. This means that their formulas and properties are different, but they both have similar patterns and can be used to solve similar problems.

3. What is the tangent function in hyperbolic functions?

In hyperbolic functions, the tangent function is defined as the ratio of the hyperbolic sine and cosine functions. It is similar to the tangent function in regular trigonometric functions, but instead of using a right triangle, it uses a hyperbola to find the ratio.

4. How are hyperbolic functions used in real life?

Hyperbolic functions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and electrical engineering. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving curves and rates of change, such as in the study of planetary orbits, electrical circuits, and population growth.

5. Are hyperbolic functions important to understand in mathematics?

Yes, hyperbolic functions are important to understand in mathematics because they have many applications in science and engineering. They also have interesting properties and relationships with other mathematical concepts, making them a valuable tool in problem-solving and understanding complex systems.