I am having some trouble with this z-transform, and would like a

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Z-transform
In summary, the Z-transform for x[n] is X(z) = (z(z-cos Ω_0))/(z^2-2cos Ω_0 z+1), with a region of convergence |z| > 1 and poles at e^jΩ_0 and e^-jΩ_0, and zeros at 0 and cos Ω_0. To sketch the pole/zero plot, draw a unit circle with its center at the origin and mark the points where the poles and zeros lie. The region of convergence is the area outside of the unit circle.
FrogPad
I am having some trouble with this z-transform, and would like a little help.

Question:
Find the Z-transform, and sketch the pole/zero plot with the region of convergence.

[tex] x[n] = \cos( \Omega_0 n) u[n] [/tex]

Where [tex] u[n] [/tex] is the step function.

"Answer"

Directly from a table in my book, [itex] x[n] [/itex] transforms to:

[tex] X(z) = \frac{1-[\cos \Omega_0]z^{-1}}{1-[2\cos \Omega_0]z^{-1}+z^{-2}} [/tex]

with a region of convergence: [itex] |z|>1 [/itex]

For the poles/zeros, a little bit of algebra yields:
[tex]X(z) = \frac{z(z-\cos \Omega_0)}{z^2-2\cos \Omega_0 z + 1} [/tex]

Thus: zeros = [itex] \{ 0, \cos \Omega_0 \} [/itex]

Using the quadratic formula yields:

poles = [tex] p_{1,2} = \frac{2 \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{4 \cos^2 \Omega_0 - 4}}{2} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{\cos^2 \Omega_0 -1} [/tex]

This can be further simplified to: [tex] p_{1,2} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{-\sin^2 \Omega_0} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm j\sin \Omega_0 = \{ e^{j\Omega_0},\,\,\,\, e^{-j\Omega_0} \}[/tex]Now if I assume I am right (which I'm not sure about), then:

ROC = [tex] |z| > 1 [/tex]
POL = [tex] \{ e^{j\Omega_0}, \,\,\, e^{-j\Omega_0} \}[/tex]
ZER = [tex] \{ 0, \,\,\, \cos \Omega_0 \}[/tex]

So how do I plot this?

Do I say:
A zero exists at the origin, and the other zero exists from -1 to 1 on the real line.

A pole exists on the unit circle with the other pole "opposite" it.I just need a little help in understanding this. Please let me know, if the in-between steps are necessary. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the in-between steps are necessary in order to sketch the pole/zero plot. You can think of it as a “map” of the z-plane that shows where the poles and zeros of the transfer function (in this case, X(z)) lie. A pole is represented by an “X” and a zero is represented by an “O”. To plot the pole/zero plot, you will need to draw a unit circle with its center at the origin. Then, mark the points where the two poles lie (in this case, e^jΩ_0 and e^-jΩ_0) with an “X”. Lastly, mark the point 0 and the point cos Ω_0 with an “O”. The region of convergence (ROC) will be the area of the z-plane outside of the unit circle.

1. What is a z-transform?

A z-transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a discrete-time signal into a complex frequency domain representation, similar to the way a Fourier transform converts a continuous signal into a frequency domain representation.

2. Why would someone use a z-transform?

A z-transform is useful for analyzing and designing discrete-time systems, such as digital filters, in the frequency domain. It allows for easier manipulation and understanding of the system's characteristics.

3. How is a z-transform different from a Fourier transform?

A z-transform is specifically designed for discrete-time signals, while a Fourier transform is used for continuous signals. Additionally, a z-transform produces a complex frequency domain representation, while a Fourier transform produces a real-valued frequency spectrum.

4. Can a z-transform be reversed or undone?

Yes, a z-transform can be inverted, known as an inverse z-transform, to convert the complex frequency domain representation back into the original discrete-time signal.

5. Are there any limitations to using a z-transform?

One limitation is that it assumes the signal is causal, meaning it only depends on past values and not future values. Additionally, it can only be applied to signals with a finite number of values.