1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am having some trouble with this z-transform, and would like a

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    I am having some trouble with this z-transform, and would like a little help.

Question:
    Find the Z-transform, and sketch the pole/zero plot with the region of convergence.

[tex] x[n] = \cos( \Omega_0 n) u[n] [/tex]

Where [tex] u[n] [/tex] is the step function.

"Answer"

Directly from a table in my book, [itex] x[n] [/itex] transforms to:

[tex] X(z) = \frac{1-[\cos \Omega_0]z^{-1}}{1-[2\cos \Omega_0]z^{-1}+z^{-2}} [/tex]

with a region of convergence: [itex] |z|>1 [/itex]

For the poles/zeros, a little bit of algebra yields:
    [tex]X(z) = \frac{z(z-\cos \Omega_0)}{z^2-2\cos \Omega_0 z + 1} [/tex]

Thus: zeros = [itex] \{ 0, \cos \Omega_0 \} [/itex]

Using the quadratic formula yields:

poles = [tex] p_{1,2} = \frac{2 \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{4 \cos^2 \Omega_0 - 4}}{2} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{\cos^2 \Omega_0 -1} [/tex]

This can be further simplified to: [tex] p_{1,2} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm \sqrt{-\sin^2 \Omega_0} = \cos \Omega_0 \pm j\sin \Omega_0 = \{ e^{j\Omega_0},\,\,\,\, e^{-j\Omega_0} \}[/tex]

Now if I assume I am right (which I'm not sure about), then:

ROC = [tex] |z| > 1 [/tex]
    POL = [tex] \{ e^{j\Omega_0}, \,\,\, e^{-j\Omega_0} \}[/tex]
    ZER = [tex] \{ 0, \,\,\, \cos \Omega_0 \}[/tex]

So how do I plot this?

Do I say:
    A zero exists at the origin, and the other zero exists from -1 to 1 on the real line.

A pole exists on the unit circle with the other pole "opposite" it.

I just need a little help in understanding this. Please let me know, if the in-between steps are necessary. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?