I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the I Ching is a book of change that is used to predict the future. Eastern scholars recommend learning about Taoism in order to better understand the I Ching. There are two translations of the I Ching that are commonly used, one by Richard Wilhelm and the other by Joseph Legge. On-line translations are available that are attributed to Wilhelm.
Smurf
I'm interested in reading this book, can anyone tell me how they found it, and (more paticularly) for any eastern scholars, what the best translations of it are.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong forum?

Personally, I never ching.

But do you chong?

I Wang Chung occasionally.

I ching, you ching, we all ching for _____________

(OK guys, fill in the blank!)

I read it when I was 14, I barely remember anything. Are you planning to start fortune telling?

I Ching - "Book of Changes"

There is a reasonably good discussion on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

To understand I Ching, I would suggest learning something of Taoism. - http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/taoism/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

Translations by Richard Wilhelm (edited by Cary Baynes) or Joseph Legge are the classic ones in English.

On-line translation of I Ching (attributed to Wilhelm) - http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/gthursby/taoism/ichingtx.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you astronuc.

Ok guys NOW you can hijack the thread.

HHHHmmmnnn...I Ching...you really shouldn't scratch or it will get worse.

Seriously, from Astronuc's web pages, definitely check out the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tsu. Its a rather small volume that easily fits in your back pocket, but its full of great verse and serious thought. Sun Tsu's Art of War is another classic, less on religious practice and more on approaches to life obstacles, business, etc. Many business schools have this as suggested reading. If you get further into martial arts philosophy, check out Miyamoto Musashi's Book of Five Rings, a classic on swordsmanship and combat philosophy. More recent texts like Zen in the Martial Arts and Living the Martial Way are also good reads.

Smurf said:
Thank you astronuc.

Ok guys NOW you can hijack the thread.

I'm very sorry. I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

I started using the I ching years ago, and then learned Tarot. I ended up throwing away my tarot cards...but my roommate bacame interested in them lately. So instead I'm teaching her about the I ching. I'ts really a better system I think than tarot but I might be wrong. You have to try some to know which you prefer. But the drawback to that is it's less time getting really good with one system which is what REALLY pays off. It's not a game though, it's definitely an oracle.

wow. you do realize that you are at the physicsforum not the psychicsforum right?
Don't you know it's bad luck to believe in superstition?

I've been working on that joke for years, I've just about got it right I think. It started with "I'm aquarius so I don't believe in stuff like that" (speaking about horoscopes)

tribdog said:
wow. you do realize that you are at the physicsforum not the psychicsforum right?
Don't you know it's bad luck to believe in superstition?
Hey, the guy woke up a thread that was dead for over a year. I'm convinced!

Necroposting. Almost as much fun as necrophilia, but legal in Morrowind!

tribdog said:
I've been working on that joke for years, I've just about got it right I think. It started with "I'm aquarius so I don't believe in stuff like that" (speaking about horoscopes)
When you put two jokes in there at once, it seems like you are trying too hard. Try holding the second for a later post.

russ_watters said:
When you put two jokes in there at once, it seems like you are trying too hard. Try holding the second for a later post.
what kind of attention span do you think I have? later posts?

Astronuc said:
There is a reasonably good discussion on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

The trigrams looks like an excellent way to figure out what you're going to do on a free day.

1. What is the purpose of "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars"?

The purpose of "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" is to provide a comprehensive guide for understanding and interpreting the ancient Chinese text known as the I Ching, also known as the Book of Changes. This book is a foundational text in Chinese philosophy and has been used for divination and guidance for over 3,000 years.

2. Who wrote "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars"?

"I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" was written by Dr. Thomas Cleary, a scholar and translator of Chinese texts. He has translated over 80 volumes of Buddhist, Taoist, Confucian, and Islamic texts, and is considered one of the leading experts on Chinese philosophy in the West.

3. Is "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" is suitable for beginners as well as more experienced scholars. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the I Ching, including its history, philosophy, and practical applications for personal growth and understanding.

4. What makes "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" different from other translations of the I Ching?

"I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" is unique in its approach to translating the I Ching. It incorporates the latest research and understanding of the text, as well as Dr. Cleary's own insights and interpretations. It also includes additional commentaries and explanations to help readers fully grasp the meaning and significance of the I Ching.

5. Can "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" be used for divination?

Yes, "I Ching: The Cook - Finding & Translations for Eastern Scholars" can be used for divination, as the I Ching is traditionally used for this purpose. However, the book also emphasizes the importance of using the I Ching as a tool for self-reflection and personal growth, rather than simply seeking answers to specific questions.