1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with a physics HW problem PLEase

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    I need help with a physics HW problem ASAP....PLEase...

A wheel is rotating about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the wheel and passing through the center of the wheel. The angular speed of the wheel is increasing at a constant rate. Point A is on the rim of the wheel and point B is midway between the rim and the center of the wheel. For each of the following quantities, it is the magnitude larger at A or at B, or is it the same at both points: a) angular speed, b) tangential speed, c) angular acceleration, d) tangential acceleration, and e) centripetal acceleration. Justify your answers.

I dont understand what they want me to do. There are no "givens" besides point A and point B which I think A=r and B= 1/2r

I have the formulas for the accelerations and velocities but don't know how to apply them....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Re: I need help with a physics HW problem ASAP....PLEase...

They want you to say whether the magnitude of the listed quantities a through e is larger on the edge of the wheel or the center of the wheel.

In other words, does increasing the radius increase or decrease the magnitude of those quantities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook