How Can You Calculate Vapor Pressure of Water at 43.0 C?

• Thread starter jKotha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the vapor pressure of water at a temperature of 43.0°C and a total pressure of 758.3 torr. The equation Pwater = Ptotal - Pair may be used to solve this, but some difficulty arises due to the change in the value of "n" in the ideal gas law at this temperature. The full problem involves finding the moles of air trapped in a cylinder and then using this information to calculate the vapor pressure of water. One approach to solving this is to assume the total pressure to be 760 torr and the partial pressure of the gas to be 758.3 torr, which would result in a vapor pressure of 1.7 tor
jKotha
Ok, I need to calculate the vapor pressure of water.

All the information I am given is that the temp is 43.0 C, and I know the total pressure of the system is 758.3 torr.

Is there anyway I can calculate this using the Pwater = Ptotal - Pair equation? PLEASE HELP! Thanks guys

Jkotha

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it something related to the equation for ideal gas? but in pV = nRT, the "n" has changed cos in 43.0 C water is liq but vapor is gas. Sorry, I've got no idea about it since I'm doing biology...

first things first, state the full problem.

Full Problem

um.. that is the full problem. PV=NRT gives me the total pressure. I just need to find the vapor pressure of water.

This is what the problem says.
Consider the following data:
Temp = 43.0C Volume = 6.63ml
Barometric Pressure = 758.3 torr

a. Find the moles of air trapped in the cylinder

Ok, I can do this part by solving for n, in the ideal gas law. This is not a problem... the second part is the problem.

b. Calculate the vapor pressure of water, Pwater, at 43.0C

THIS IS THE FULL PROBLEM. Now I would really appreciate it if you can help. Thanks Guys..

jkotha

Assume that the total pressure is 760 torr and 758.3 as the partial pressure of the gas.

Thanks.. that might help

would that mean that the vapor pressure of the water would be 1.7 torr? That seems incredibly low. I'm assuming that total pressure = Pressure(gas) + pressure(water)

760 = 758.3 + Pwater

.. this doesn't seem right. That is really low.

hm... I don't know why this is so tough.

thanks

jkotha

It is not that unusual, water is a liquid and so the particles are not moving around as much as they are in its gaseous state of steam.

1. What is the chemical formula for the compound in question?

The chemical formula is a representation of the elements and their respective ratios in a compound. It is typically written using symbols and subscripts, such as H2O for water.

2. Can you explain the reaction mechanism for this problem?

The reaction mechanism is the step-by-step process by which reactants are converted to products. It involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds. To fully understand the mechanism, it is important to consider factors such as energy, reaction intermediates, and transition states.

3. How do I calculate the molar mass of a compound?

The molar mass of a compound is the mass of one mole of that substance. It can be calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element present in the compound. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table.

4. What is the significance of the periodic table in solving this problem?

The periodic table is a valuable tool for understanding the properties and behaviors of elements. It can help identify the atomic structure, valence electrons, and reactivity of elements, which are all important factors in solving a chemistry problem.

5. How can I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of each type of atom on the reactant side is equal to the number on the product side. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each reactant or product. It is important to note that the number of atoms of each element must remain the same before and after the reaction.