Find a Mechanics Topic for Your IB Extended Essay

In summary, a student is seeking suggestions for a topic for their IB extended essay. They prefer a topic in mechanics, but are open to suggestions in other subjects. They mention that they struggle with literature and would like a topic that can potentially earn them a higher mark. One suggestion given is special relativity, which the student believes they can handle at the IB level.
physicstory
IB extended essay...

Hello everybody..
I'm an IB Diploma student. and i need to write an extended essay to graduate from IB. This essay is supposed to be 4000 words, needs a specific topic (I'd prefer mechanics but i also need other suggestions..). and the problem is the topic! i have been searching for physics ee topics but i couldn't find anything interesting yet... and i also know that physics isn't graded as much as literature, but I am sure that if i chose literature, i'll get a lower mark than a physics essay...(i suck at literature :D )

so basicly, i need a topic for my extended essay. as i said, i'd prefer it to be mechanics however i'd be happy to see other suggestions in any subjects. Please help me.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure if you've looked into it yet but i'd possibly go for special relativity, there's certainly a lot to write about, and while it is mathematical it's nothing you can't handle at IB level.

I understand the importance of choosing a topic that interests you for your extended essay. Mechanics is a fascinating field that encompasses a wide range of topics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. Here are a few potential mechanics topics for your IB extended essay:

1. Investigating the motion of a pendulum: You could explore the factors that affect the period of a pendulum, such as the length, mass, and amplitude. You could also compare the motion of a simple pendulum to that of a compound pendulum.

2. Analyzing projectile motion: This topic could involve studying the motion of a projectile in different scenarios, such as on a flat surface, on an inclined plane, or in the presence of air resistance.

3. Investigating the conservation of energy in collisions: You could examine how energy is conserved in different types of collisions, such as elastic and inelastic collisions, and how this relates to the laws of conservation of momentum.

4. Exploring rotational motion: This topic could involve studying the motion of objects rotating around a fixed axis, such as a spinning top or a rotating wheel.

5. Investigating the behavior of waves: You could explore the properties of waves, such as frequency, wavelength, and amplitude, and how they are affected by different mediums.

Other potential topics outside of mechanics could include:

1. Investigating the effects of temperature on the behavior of gases: You could study how the behavior of gases changes at different temperatures and how this relates to the ideal gas law.

2. Analyzing the efficiency of solar cells: This topic could involve researching the principles behind solar cell technology and conducting experiments to compare the efficiency of different types of solar cells.

3. Investigating the relationship between music and math: This interdisciplinary topic could involve exploring the mathematical concepts behind music, such as frequency, wavelength, and harmonics, and how they are used in music theory.

Remember, the key to a successful extended essay is to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and passionate about. I hope these suggestions have sparked some ideas for your extended essay. Good luck!

What are some good mechanics topics for an IB Extended Essay?

Some potential mechanics topics for an IB Extended Essay could include analyzing the efficiency of different types of engines, investigating the relationship between temperature and viscosity in fluids, or examining the mechanics of projectile motion.

How do I choose a mechanics topic for my IB Extended Essay?

When choosing a mechanics topic for your IB Extended Essay, consider your personal interests and the resources available to you. It may also be helpful to consult with your teacher or a subject matter expert to ensure your topic is appropriate for the IB curriculum.

What are some important factors to consider when researching a mechanics topic?

When researching a mechanics topic, it is important to consider the accuracy and credibility of your sources, as well as the relevance of your research to your chosen topic. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consider any limitations or potential biases in your research methods.

How can I conduct experiments for my mechanics Extended Essay?

Conducting experiments for a mechanics Extended Essay may involve setting up and performing controlled experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and using mathematical models to make predictions. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and document your methods and results accurately.

How do I structure my mechanics Extended Essay?

The structure of a mechanics Extended Essay may vary depending on your specific topic, but it typically includes an introduction, background information, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It is important to also include proper citations and references to support your findings.