Exploring the Nature of Fields: Their Uses & Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fields and their purpose in mathematics and physics. The author explains how the force experienced by a charge depends on its magnitude and the distance from the point-charge. They also clarify that the purpose of defining a field is to determine the effects of a charge on the surrounding space, while removing the dependency on the charge of the test particle. The speakers also express their admiration for the desire to understand these concepts, despite the difficulty in grasping them.
jwxie

Homework Statement

Here is an interesting reading to my question.
http://coraifeartaigh.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/what-is-a-field/

The author wrote:
It is clear from Coulomb’s law above that the force experienced by any charge B due to A will also depend on the magnitude of B i.e. each charge you bring up to A will experience a different force!

The reason he said each charge will experience a different force is assuming different r (and not a constant r)?

Another question is to understand the purpose of a field (in mathematics and physics).

So a field is use to describe the effect of a test particle that places in space?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The test particle will experience a force which depends on the distance from the point-charge and on it's own charge magnitude.

"Each charge you bring up to A will experience a different force" is valid if the charges are different in magnitude.

There is no "purpose" for a field. It just exists. Rather, a test particle is used to describe the field.

Hello jwxie,
jwxie said:

Homework Statement

Here is an interesting reading to my question.
http://coraifeartaigh.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/what-is-a-field/

The author wrote:The reason he said each charge will experience a different force is assuming different r (and not a constant r)?
I admire your desired to learn the meaning behind the equations! :approve: But I don't think the author was talking about different 'r' values. Instead, I think the author was talking about different q values, where q is the electric charge of B. In other words, if we only talk about forces and forces alone, the force on (B) caused by charge (A) is

[tex] F = k \frac{q_A q_B}{r^2} [/tex]

So when the author says, "force experienced by any charge B due to A will also depend on the magnitude of B" I think he's talking about different values of qB.
Another question is to understand the purpose of a field (in mathematics and physics).

So a field is use to describe the effect of a test particle that places in space?
Well, I think the author is trying to say that the purpose of defining a field in the first place is to determine the effects that charge (A) has on the space around it, while removing the dependency of qB.

While it's an otherwise well written article, I think it might be a little unclear on this point. Let's call charge (B) the test charge. Then the magnitude of the electric field caused by charge (A) is

[tex] E = F/q_B = \frac{k\frac{q_A q_B}{r^2}}{q_B} = k\frac{q_A}{r^2}. [/tex]

Notice the magnitude of the electric field caused by (A) is not a function of the charge of test charge qB, which can be anything. I think that is what the author is trying to say.

[Edit: 'Looks like Uku beat me to the point.]

Last edited:
Ha, Great helps from both of you. Appreciated.

I am not so bright when it comes to understanding the math and physics concepts. It takes me quite a while to understand every thing. Well that's how an ordinary physics major is. I wished I was a genius in math and physics LOL.

Thank you!

I find this reading on the nature of fields to be quite interesting. The author brings up an important point that the force experienced by a charge will vary depending on its distance from another charge. This is due to Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, as the distance between the charges changes, so does the force.

To answer the question about the purpose of a field, we must first understand what a field is. In physics, a field is a physical quantity that has a value at every point in space. Examples of fields include electric fields, gravitational fields, and magnetic fields. These fields can be described mathematically using equations, allowing us to understand and predict their effects on particles in space.

In this context, the purpose of a field is to describe the effect that a test particle would experience if placed in that field. For example, if we have a test charge placed in an electric field, the field will exert a force on the charge, causing it to move. By understanding the properties of the field, we can predict how the test charge will behave.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of fields and their uses in physics and mathematics. It is a fundamental concept in many areas of science, and further exploration and understanding of fields can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the natural world.

1. What is a field?

A field is a physical quantity that exists throughout space and can be measured at any given point.

2. How are fields created?

Fields are created by sources, which can be charged particles, magnets, or other objects with a physical property that produces a field.

3. What are some practical uses of fields?

Fields have a wide range of practical uses, including powering electric motors, creating magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) images, and transmitting information through radio waves.

4. What are the effects of fields on living organisms?

The effects of fields on living organisms can vary depending on the strength and type of field. Some fields, such as electromagnetic fields, have been linked to potential health effects, while others, like the Earth's magnetic field, are essential for life on Earth.

5. How do scientists study fields?

Scientists study fields through a combination of theoretical models, mathematical equations, and experiments. They use specialized instruments and techniques to measure and manipulate fields in controlled environments.