Idel van der Waals fluids and Helmholtz potential

In summary, the problem described involves two ideal van der Waals fluids separated by a movable piston and in contact with a thermal reservoir. The goal is to calculate the Helmholtz potential of the composite system. The fundamental equation for a van der Waals gas in Helmholtz representation is provided and the mole numbers and temperature are constant for the composite system. The volume of the composite system is equal to the sum of the volumes of each part of the piston. The pressure is assumed to be the same throughout the system due to equilibrium. The next steps for solving the problem are not clear.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have this problem which I'm trying to solve. Its from callen, it says:

Two ideal van der Walls fluids are contained in a cylinder, sparated by an internal moveable piston. There is one mole of each fluid, and the two fluids have the same values of the van der Waals constants b and c; the respective values of the van der Waals constant "a" are a1 and a2. The entire system is in contact with a thermal reservoir of temperature T. Calculate the Helmholtz potential of the composite system (V is the total volume of the composite system).

So, I've found the fundamental equation for a van der Waals gas in Helmholtz representation before. This is it:

[tex]f=-\frac{a}{v}+cRT-TR \ln{[(v-b)(cRT)^c]}+s_0[/tex]

Now, for the composite system, the mole numbers and the temperature are constants, right? I'm not sure how to work this out.

I also have [tex]V=V_1+V_2[/tex] being the V at the left of the equality the total volume, and the others the volume for each part of the piston, divided by the cylinder in two.

The pressure must be the same all over the walls I presume, because I suppose the system is at equilibrium, so: [tex]P_1(T_r,V_1,N_1)=P_2(T_r,V_2,N_2)[/tex]

Is this right. How should I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

What are Idel van der Waals fluids?

Idel van der Waals fluids are a type of thermodynamic model used to describe the behavior of real gases. They take into account the attractive and repulsive forces between gas molecules, which are not accounted for in the ideal gas law.

What is the Helmholtz potential?

The Helmholtz potential is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the amount of energy available to do work in a system at a constant temperature and volume. It is defined as the difference between the internal energy and the product of temperature and entropy.

How are Idel van der Waals fluids related to the Helmholtz potential?

The Idel van der Waals equation of state includes the Helmholtz potential as a term to account for the attractive and repulsive forces between gas molecules. The Helmholtz potential is also used in the derivation of other thermodynamic properties, such as the heat capacity and compressibility.

What are the limitations of the Idel van der Waals model?

The Idel van der Waals model is a simplified representation of real gases and has several limitations. It assumes that the molecules are spherical and that the attractive and repulsive forces are the same for all molecules. It also does not account for the effects of temperature and pressure on the intermolecular forces.

How is the Idel van der Waals model used in practical applications?

The Idel van der Waals model is used in a variety of practical applications such as predicting the behavior of gases in industrial processes, designing refrigeration systems, and understanding the properties of mixtures and solutions. It is also used to study the behavior of real gases under extreme conditions, such as high pressures and low temperatures.