If a gas is at STP, is atm pressure 1?

In summary, STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure, with a standard temperature of 0°C or 273.15 K and a standard pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm). The pressure at STP is considered to be 1 atm because it is the average atmospheric pressure at sea level and the pressure needed to support a column of mercury 760 mm high in a barometer. However, the pressure at STP is not the same as the pressure in a closed container, as it refers to the pressure of a gas in its standard state. The units for pressure at STP are typically measured in atmospheres, but can also be expressed in other units such as kilopascals or millimeters of mercury.
tomrh3
I'm confused on this matter, and can't seem to find a clear explanation online or in my book. 3.00m^3 of gas at stp is at 0 degrees C, but does that mean the pressure is 1atm? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that it is indeed 1.

I can provide a clear explanation for your confusion. STP stands for standard temperature and pressure, which is defined as a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm). Therefore, if a gas is at STP, its pressure will be 1 atm. This is a standard reference point used in scientific experiments and calculations.

In your specific example, 3.00m^3 of gas at STP means that the gas occupies a volume of 3.00 cubic meters at a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 1 atm. It is important to note that this is a standardized measurement and the actual pressure of the gas may vary in different conditions.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify your confusion. If you require further assistance, I suggest consulting a reliable scientific source or seeking help from a qualified instructor.

1. What does STP stand for?

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure.

2. What is the standard temperature and pressure for STP?

The standard temperature for STP is 0°C or 273.15 K, and the standard pressure is 1 atmosphere (atm).

3. Why is the pressure at STP considered to be 1 atm?

The pressure at STP is considered to be 1 atm because it is the average atmospheric pressure at sea level on Earth. It is also the pressure needed to support a column of mercury 760 mm high in a barometer at sea level.

4. Is the pressure at STP the same as the pressure in a closed container?

No, the pressure at STP refers to the pressure of a gas in its standard state, which is at a specific temperature and pressure. The pressure in a closed container can vary depending on the volume and amount of gas present.

5. What are the units for pressure at STP?

The units for pressure at STP are typically measured in atmospheres (atm), but can also be expressed in other units such as kilopascals (kPa) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg).