I'm looking the paper first using the term Michel electrons

In summary, the person is writing a thesis and mentions the Michel electron, but cannot find a reference for its name. They have tried researching and finding Louis Michel's work, but have had no luck. They are hoping someone can help them find the origin of the name "Michel electron". The conversation also mentions the first measurement of the Michel parameter in muon decays, with a reference to a paper by L. Michel from 1950.
DylanL
Hi. First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum; this seems to be the most valid one, but if that's not the case please let me know.

Anyway, I am writing a thesis, and in it I mention the Michel electron (electron created from muon decay) and note that it gets its name from Louis Michel. I was told to find a reference for this, but try as I might there's nothing I can find. It's stated matter-of-factly on Wikipedia and the papers I see that mention it at all just say "Michel electron" with no explanation towards the naming. I was hoping that maybe someone would be know how this name originated. I tried to find old papers on muon decay, but with no luck (I'm not very experienced at doing this sort of research). I'm having trouble even finding Louis Michel's work.

Please let me know if you can help,
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
The first measurement of the Michel parameter r/in decays
Maybe this one?
References
[1] L. Michel, Proc. Phys. Soc. London A 63 (1950) 514

A Google search on that gets a lot of similar papers.
Thank you for this. While I still can't find anything on the term "Michel electron", I can work with having his first two Michel parameters papers; the first of which you gave me, and the second of which was easy enough to find from that.

1. What are Michel electrons?

Michel electrons are a type of high energy electron that are produced in the decay of a muon, a subatomic particle. They have a distinct energy spectrum and are used in particle physics research.

2. How are Michel electrons different from regular electrons?

Michel electrons are different from regular electrons in that they are produced in the decay of a specific particle, the muon. They also have a higher energy and a unique energy spectrum, making them useful for certain experiments and studies.

3. What is the significance of studying Michel electrons?

Studying Michel electrons can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of subatomic particles, such as the muon. It can also help researchers understand the laws of physics and potentially discover new particles or phenomena.

4. How are Michel electrons detected and measured?

Michel electrons are typically detected using specialized detectors, such as scintillators or silicon detectors. Their energy can be measured using techniques like calorimetry or time-of-flight measurements.

5. Can Michel electrons be used for practical applications?

No, Michel electrons are primarily used for research purposes in particle physics. However, the knowledge gained from studying them can potentially lead to advancements in other fields, such as medical imaging or energy production.