Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Implicit Differentiation Problem

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    Consider the curve given by X^2+4y^2=7+3xy
    a) show that dy/dx=3y-2x/8y-3x
    b) show that there is a point P with x-cooridnate 3 at which the line tangent to the curve at P is horizontal. Find the y-cooridnate of P.
    c)find the value of d^2y/dx^2 at the point P found in part (b). Does the curve have a local maximum, a local minimum, or neither at the point P? Justify your answer.

(a) is easy. All you do is find the derivative.

For (b), I got the point (3,2) by plugging 3 into the original equation and got 2.

For (c), the value I got was -2/7 by finding the second derivative and plugging (3,2) for the x's and y's. I need to know if this is right and if there are any max's or min's at this point. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

-2/7 is correct. You know that dy/dx is 0 at the point, so you know it has to be either a maximum, a minimum, or a saddle point. Intuitively what do you think it should be, given that d^2y/dx^2 is less than 0? If it is less than 0 it means that the slope is decreasing--the slope is changing to become more negative. What would that mean in terms of maximum or minimum?

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Slope of dy/dx is decreasing and is 0 at x= 3. That is, dy/dx is positive for x< 3 and negative for x> 3. y itself is increasing for x< 3, and decreasing for x>3. What does that tell you?

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    Since y is increasing when x<3 and decreasing when x>3, does that mean there is a local maximum?

6. Feb 24, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yes. Draw a picture of that situation.

7. Feb 24, 2006 #6
    Alright, thanks a lot for all of your help. I believe this graph looks like a slanted ellipse.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook