1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation Problem

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    Consider the curve given by X^2+4y^2=7+3xy
    a) show that dy/dx=3y-2x/8y-3x
    b) show that there is a point P with x-cooridnate 3 at which the line tangent to the curve at P is horizontal. Find the y-cooridnate of P.
    c)find the value of d^2y/dx^2 at the point P found in part (b). Does the curve have a local maximum, a local minimum, or neither at the point P? Justify your answer.

(a) is easy. All you do is find the derivative.

For (b), I got the point (3,2) by plugging 3 into the original equation and got 2.

For (c), the value I got was -2/7 by finding the second derivative and plugging (3,2) for the x's and y's. I need to know if this is right and if there are any max's or min's at this point. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

-2/7 is correct. You know that dy/dx is 0 at the point, so you know it has to be either a maximum, a minimum, or a saddle point. Intuitively what do you think it should be, given that d^2y/dx^2 is less than 0? If it is less than 0 it means that the slope is decreasing--the slope is changing to become more negative. What would that mean in terms of maximum or minimum?
  4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Slope of dy/dx is decreasing and is 0 at x= 3. That is, dy/dx is positive for x< 3 and negative for x> 3. y itself is increasing for x< 3, and decreasing for x>3. What does that tell you?
  5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    Since y is increasing when x<3 and decreasing when x>3, does that mean there is a local maximum?
  6. Feb 24, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Draw a picture of that situation.
  7. Feb 24, 2006 #6
    Alright, thanks a lot for all of your help. I believe this graph looks like a slanted ellipse.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?