Is My Implicit Differentiation Method Correct?

In summary, the conversation was about a student seeking help with simplifying an expression using the chain rule. The original expression was corrected and the student received guidance on how to rearrange the expression to make it less confusing. The student then posted their final answer and received confirmation that they were on the right track.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2459/untitledow9.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See above picture.

I'm just curious to see if my method is correct and how exactly would I go about simplifying the answer if indeed it is correct. Thanks to anybody who can help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression for the derivative of sqrt(xy) using the chain rule is in error. Y is under the square root in the expression, so the first half should be sqrt(y/x)/2. From this you should be able to get the second half.

Rather than writing [itex]\sqrt{xy}[/itex] as (xy)1/2, write it as x1/2y1/2. I think you will find that less confusing.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9232/workingdh2.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out, I made the relevant changes, I hope it's a bit better now. The final answer seems very, very long winded though. Am I on the right track? Hope nobody minds me posting the pictures instead, it's easier for me than doing it on the computer!

Yes, you're on the right track now!

thanks for speed reply
My final answer is...

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/246/finalanswml7.jpg

amiright? :tongue2:

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method of finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. Instead, the function may have both variables and may be written in an implicit form, such as y^2 + x^2 = 25. Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of the function with respect to one variable, while treating the other variable as a constant.

2. Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful in situations where we cannot easily solve for one variable in terms of the other. It allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to rearrange the equation, which can be time-consuming and difficult for more complex functions. It is also helpful in finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

3. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, we treat the dependent variable (usually y) as a function of the independent variable (usually x) and use the chain rule to find the derivative. We differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x and then solve for dy/dx. It is important to keep in mind the chain rule and product rule when performing implicit differentiation.

4. What are some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, forgetting to differentiate both sides of the equation, and making errors in applying the product rule. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. In what real-world applications is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics for calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion, in economics for finding marginal cost and revenue, and in engineering for optimizing functions and solving differential equations. It is also used in various fields of science, such as biology and chemistry, to model and analyze complex systems.