Impossible to solve? [appears simple but isn't]

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, a regular joint can't be used to solve the system because it doesn't allow for movement along the X and Y planes. However, by putting BD in equilibrium, it would then be possible to find the reaction at point C.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/7509/appearsimple.jpg

Long story short: A is fixed to the ground. Point C is a pin joint. W = 200 [N]
The rest is what you see is what you get.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get too many unknowns no matter what I do.

If I look at only external forces (Which is what we were told to do with every "frame" problem such as this, this is what happens:

Sigma Ma = 1.5W - 1.5By +Ma = 0

(2 unknowns!)

If I do sigma Mb, I get 3 unknowns!

I can't build enough equations with similar unknowns to solve systems of equations.

Even when I look at each member individually I don't have enough to solve for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've only shown one equation for static equilibrium. This might be that rare case where you have two equations in two unknowns (shudder). You'll get better guidance if you show all your work.

Well, here is my full dead end:Sigma Ma = 1.5W - 1.5By +Ma = 0
Sigma Fy = Ay + By - W = 0
Sigma Fx = Ax + Bx = 0

Member AE:

Sigma Mc: -2Ax +2T +ma = 0
Sigma Fx: Ax + Cx - T
Sigma Fy: Ay - Cy

Member BD:

Sigma Fy: -W +By +Cy = 0
Sigma Fx: T -Bx - Cx = 0
Sigma Mc: -1.5By +2Bx +1.5W -2W = 0Dead ends everywhere

Hi Fp! :smile:

What kind of a joint is C?
Could it perhaps give you an extra equation?

And do you know of a relationship between T and W?

Well T is in fact W. I just for clarity wrote it differently but since it provoked you to ask a question maybe it wasn't so clear. But the tension is equal to the weight.

Joint C is a regular joint. Allows rotation but does not allow linear movement at the X and Y planes (2 resistance directions). Same as in all our frames exercises. Joints, typical, good ol' joints.

Could it perhaps give you an extra equation?

Didn't I write all possible equations? Well, I can do the formula for sum of all moments on all the joints in each member and in external forces but I doubt that would give me any more insight.

C doesn't look like a regular joint.
It looks like it can slide freely along its length.

Edit: With C as a regular joint you cannot solve the system.
This is called a statically undetermined system.

Last edited:
What exactly is being asked to be solved here?

1] The diagram, taken at face value, depicts a rigid structure. Nothing happens.

So, presumably, C can slide vertically, otherwise there's nothing to solve.

2] Assuming C can slide, presumably the issue is whether the weight drops or rises.

Is that what's supposed to be solved?

Writing your moment equation about point A is an unexpected choice. However, writing a moment equation about point B would, perhaps, allow you to solve for the reaction at point C.

To amplify my previous suggestions, instead of looking at the entire mechanism, draw a Free body diagram for the arm BD. By putting BD in equilibrium, it would then be possible to draw a Free body diagram for the arm AE and write its equations of equilibrium.

SteamKing said:
... draw a Free body diagram for the arm BD. By putting BD in equilibrium, it would then be possible to draw a Free body diagram for the arm AE and write its equations of equilibrium.
I agree with SteamKing.

Assuming the pulley is frictionless and that the pin at C slides without friction in the slot, you should be able to find the force that the pin at C exerts on member BD. In doing this, I would suggest that you find the moment, MB, about point B (torque about point B).

Thanks, I solved it :smile:

All the frames exercises I solved so far had a regular good ol' joint that wasn't allowed sliding. Now we have a joint that's allowed sliding, so it became confusing because I was taken aback.

Also, we were told always to start by external forces, but here we start with internal forces, which confused me even more! But anyway, thanks to these replies and my classmate I finally was able to pin that problem down. :approve: Excuse the pun :wink:

Thanks a bunch! :smile:

For reference I'm attaching my friend's solution since I'm at work and have no scanner, but we got the same results

Attachments

• friendsol11.jpg
    friendsol11.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 351
Looks good to me !

1. What makes a problem seemingly impossible to solve?

A problem may appear simple at first glance, but upon closer examination, it may involve complex variables, unknown factors, or conflicting information that make it difficult to find a solution.

2. How do scientists approach problems that are seemingly impossible to solve?

Scientists use a systematic and analytical approach to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. They also use various tools and techniques such as experimentation, data analysis, and collaboration to find potential solutions.

3. Can impossible problems ever be solved?

While some problems may seem impossible to solve, scientific advancements and new discoveries have shown that even the most challenging problems can be solved with determination, creativity, and the right approach.

4. What are some examples of seemingly impossible problems that have been solved by scientists?

Examples of seemingly impossible problems that have been solved by scientists include the development of vaccines for diseases, the discovery of new planets and species, and the invention of technologies that seemed impossible at one point.

5. How can we apply scientific problem-solving techniques in our daily lives?

We can apply scientific problem-solving techniques in our daily lives by approaching problems with a curious and analytical mindset, breaking them down into smaller parts, gathering and analyzing data, and seeking out different perspectives and potential solutions.