Improper integrals with infinite discontinuities

In summary, the homework statement is that integrating from 7 to 9 yields a -26 value. However, when the limit is taken on both sides individually, it is found that the value is actually -13. This suggests that the student may have done something wrong when integrating the equation. Additionally, the student provides an example of how to calculate limits and shows that the value of the integral diverges when exceeded.
nweis84

Homework Statement

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{13}{(x-8)^2}[/tex]dx

Homework Equations

it is integrated from 7 to 9 and i am aware that there is an infinite discontinuity at x=8 so we have to take the limit from both sides individually.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can think that I might be doing wrong is just integrating it wrong but it seems like such an easy integration. The integration that I come up with:

-[tex]\frac{13}{x-8}[/tex]

as a goes to 8 [[tex]\frac{-13}{a-8}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{13}{7-8}[/tex]]+[[tex]\frac{-13}{9-8}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{13}{a-8}[/tex]]

and this comes out to be -26 which has to be wrong because the graph is above the positive x-axis and also it is not one of my answer choices.

Physics news on Phys.org
nweis84 said:
as a goes to 8 [[tex]\frac{-13}{a-8}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{13}{7-8}[/tex]]+[[tex]\frac{-13}{9-8}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{13}{a-8}[/tex]]
I thought you said you were going to take the limit of both sides individually? This looks more like you threw both sides together first, and then took a limit.

I'm not really sure how to write it in there with this program but I did take the limits individually when I did the work on my paper. The first bracket is the limit from 7 to a as a approaches 8 from the left and the second bracket is the limit from a to 9 as a approaches 8 from the right. Did i do that right?

then don't you just add them in the end?

What were the limits on the two sides then? What two numbers did you add together to get -26?

both of them came out to -13

Interesting. Could you show how you calculated that?

lim as a --> 8- [ [tex]\frac{-13}{x-8}[/tex] ]

from 7 to a =

[[tex]\frac{-13}{(a-8)}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{13}{(7-8)}[/tex]]

[ 0 + [tex]\frac{13}{-1}[/tex]]

= -13

its the same basically for the other side

nweis84 said:
[ 0 + [tex]\frac{13}{-1}[/tex]]
The 13/-1 makes sense. How did you get that 0?

well doesn't the 8- with the negative sign to the right of the number mean +8 but that it is approaching from the left side?
or are you saying that it means I should have plugged in a negative 8 for a?

or does that mean that that factor goes to infinity?

Last edited:
nweis84 said:
or does that mean that that factor goes to infinity?
Bingo. ([itex]+\infty[/itex], I believe? You should check)

thanks for your help It's just been a while since calc I and i kinda forgot how to do limits

and yes one of the answer choices is that the integral diverges

1. What is an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity?

An improper integral with an infinite discontinuity is an integral where the limits of integration involve an infinite value. This can occur when the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote or a point of discontinuity at one of the limits.

2. How do you evaluate improper integrals with infinite discontinuities?

To evaluate an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity, you must first split the integral into two separate integrals at the point of discontinuity. Then, you can use the limit definition of the integral to evaluate each integral separately. If both limits of the integrals are infinite, you can use a substitution to convert the integral into a form that can be evaluated using a known method.

3. Can an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity have a finite value?

Yes, it is possible for an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity to have a finite value. This can occur if the function being integrated has a removable discontinuity at the point of discontinuity or if the integral converges due to the behavior of the function at infinity.

4. What are some common examples of functions that result in improper integrals with infinite discontinuities?

Some common examples include functions with vertical asymptotes, such as f(x) = 1/x, and functions with point discontinuities, such as f(x) = 1 if x≤0, 0 if x>0. Other examples include trigonometric functions with singularities, such as f(x) = tan(x).

5. How is the convergence or divergence of an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity determined?

The convergence or divergence of an improper integral with an infinite discontinuity is determined by evaluating the limit of the integral as the limits of integration approach the point of discontinuity. If the limit exists and is a finite value, the integral is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is an infinite value, the integral is said to diverge.