Impulse and Impact time of a collision

In summary, the individual is working on a Final Year Project at University analyzing Road Restraint Systems/Safety Barriers using a Finite Element Analysis package. They are struggling with calculating the force exerted onto the barrier by a vehicle during a collision, specifically the time over which this impact occurs. They have attempted to use equations and are now seeking an assumed value of delta t from past numerical or field tests to calculate the force. They have not been able to find this information in journals and are looking for alternative methods or ideas. They have also requested for a moderator to possibly move their post to a more appropriate section.
frostie
Hi there,

For my Final Year Project at University I am analysing Road Restraint Systems/Safety Barriers in a Finite Element Analysis package.

My problem is calculating the force exerted onto the barrier by a vehicle during a collision, more specifically the time over which this impact occurs.

Using d (this distance over which the impact occurs) isn't an option as this is an unknown that is calculated during the analysis.

What I've got so far...

E=1/2mv2
Momentum = mv=2E/v
Momentum = F. delta t = 2E/v

Therefore, F = 2E/v.delta t

What I really need is an assumed value of delta t from past numerical or field tests. I've searched for journals with such information with no luck. Failing that a method or idea how else to calculate the force exerted on the barrier from a vehicle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Frostie

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry...Looking at the sub-forum descriptions and the general topics of the posts in this forum...I think I may have posted this in the wrong section. I saw PhD help and posted...but I think this is probably more for help on choosing a PhD?

Could a moderator possibly move this to a more appropriate place.

Thanks,

Frostie

Related to Impulse and Impact time of a collision

1. What is the difference between impulse and impact time of a collision?

The impulse of a collision is the change in momentum that occurs due to the collision, while the impact time is the duration of the collision. In other words, impulse measures the force applied during a collision, while impact time measures how long the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate the impulse of a collision?

The impulse of a collision can be calculated by multiplying the average force applied during the collision by the duration of the collision. This can be represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is impact time.

3. What factors affect the impact time of a collision?

The impact time of a collision can be affected by various factors, such as the speed and mass of the objects colliding, the angle of the collision, and the elasticity of the objects. A shorter impact time usually results in a higher impulse and greater force during the collision.

4. How does the elasticity of the objects involved in a collision affect the impulse and impact time?

The elasticity of the objects involved in a collision can greatly affect the impulse and impact time. If the objects are highly elastic, meaning they can easily return to their original shape after being deformed, the impact time will be shorter and the impulse will be higher. On the other hand, if the objects are not very elastic, the impact time will be longer and the impulse will be lower.

5. Why is understanding impulse and impact time important in analyzing collisions?

Understanding impulse and impact time is important in analyzing collisions because it allows us to determine the force applied during the collision, which can help us understand the severity of the impact and the potential damage or injuries that may occur. It also allows us to compare different collisions and assess which objects or scenarios are more likely to result in greater force and damage.