1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse and Impact time of a collision

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    Hi there,

For my Final Year Project at University I am analysing Road Restraint Systems/Safety Barriers in a Finite Element Analysis package.

My problem is calculating the force exerted onto the barrier by a vehicle during a collision, more specifically the time over which this impact occurs.

Using d (this distance over which the impact occurs) isn't an option as this is an unknown that is calculated during the analysis.

What I've got so far...

Momentum = mv=2E/v
    Momentum = F. delta t = 2E/v

Therefore, F = 2E/v.delta t

What I really need is an assumed value of delta t from past numerical or field tests. I've searched for journals with such information with no luck. Failing that a method or idea how else to calculate the force exerted on the barrier from a vehicle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    Sorry...Looking at the sub-forum descriptions and the general topics of the posts in this forum...I think I may have posted this in the wrong section. I saw PhD help and posted...but I think this is probably more for help on choosing a PhD?

Could a moderator possibly move this to a more appropriate place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook