Incline problem find the speed

In summary, two objects of masses 2.00 kg and 6.00 kg are connected by a light string over a frictionless pulley on a frictionless incline at an angle of 50.0°. The acceleration of the objects is found to be 3.18 m/s^2 using the given equations. The tension in the string is also calculated to be 25.9 N. To find the speed of the objects 2.00 seconds after being released from rest, basic kinematics equations can be used since the acceleration is constant. The final speed is found to be 6.36 m/s.
tnhoots

Homework Statement

Two objects are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley, as in Figure P5.26. The incline is frictionless, m1 = 2.00 kg, m2 = 6.00 kg, and = 50.0°.

(?) Find the speed of each object 2.00 s after being released from rest.
m/s

Homework Equations

I already found the acceleration to be 3.18 m/s2 using the equation:
a=(m2)(g)(sin50.0)-(m1)(g) / m1 + m2

I already found the tension in the string to be 25.9 using the equation:
T=(m1)(m2)(g)(sin50.0+1) / (m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out how to find the speed. I'm not even sure what equation to use for this type of problem. I was thinking S=mass/acceleration. But that equation doesn't take into account the friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
"But that equation doesn't take into account the friction."

It's a frictionless pulley and a frictionless incline, so you don't need to worry about this.

Since the acceleration is constant, you can just use basic kinematics to get the speed. They've given you the time interval, and you know the masses were released from rest. Just find an equation that links those things.

I'm so lost as to how to relate all those things. Do you know of an example...??

Don't think of it as a mass-pulley problem anymore. Just think of it as:

A block initially at rest undergoes a constant acceleration of 3.18 m/s^2 for 2 seconds, what is the speed at this time?

Think of your basic kinematic equations. What's the definition of acceleration for linear motion?

So the equation looks like:
V=Vo + at
So, for this problem I know what the a is 3.18 m/s^2 . The t is 2 seconds and Vo is equal to zero. So substituting those factors in, V should equal 6.36 seconds correct?

If you mean 6.36 meters/second, then assuming you found "a" correctly (which I think you did), your speed is right.

1. What is the incline problem and how is it related to finding speed?

The incline problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the speed of an object that is moving up or down an incline. It is related to finding speed because the incline changes the acceleration and forces acting on the object, making it necessary to use specific equations to calculate the speed.

2. What are the key factors that affect the speed in an incline problem?

The key factors that affect speed in an incline problem are the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the forces acting on the object such as gravity, friction, and normal force. These factors can change the acceleration and therefore impact the speed of the object.

3. How do you find the speed in an incline problem?

To find the speed in an incline problem, you first need to use trigonometry to break down the gravitational force into its components parallel and perpendicular to the incline. Then, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the speed, taking into account the angle of the incline and the forces acting on the object.

4. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed in an incline problem?

The average speed in an incline problem is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while the instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. In an incline problem, the instantaneous speed may vary due to changes in acceleration and forces, while the average speed gives an overall understanding of the object's speed over the entire incline.

5. How can we use the incline problem to understand real-world situations?

The incline problem is a useful tool for understanding real-world situations where objects are moving up or down a slope, such as a car driving up a hill or a person skiing down a slope. It allows us to calculate the speed and acceleration of objects and understand the forces at play, which can be applied to different scenarios and help us make predictions and solve problems.