Increasing magnitude of the charge

In summary, the four pairs of conducting spheres shown have the same radius and initial net charge. When brought into contact, the charge on each sphere equalizes, resulting in a transfer of charge. The magnitude of charge transferred can be calculated using the formula Q1 - Q2 /2. The correct order of increasing magnitude of charge transferred is D < C = A < B.
sophia.m

Homework Statement

Four pairs of conducting spheres, all with the same radius, are shown in the figure, along with the net charge placed on them initially. The spheres in each pair are now brought into contact, allowing charge to transfer between them. Rank the pairs of spheres in order of increasing magnitude of the charge transferred. Indicate ties where appropriate. (Use only the symbols < and =, for example A < B = C.)

19-31b.gif

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r2

F=q1+q2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I only get one chance to do this problem, I just want to make sure if my reasoning is correct or if the formula I am using correct.

What i think is:
A=-3C
B=4C
C=-2C
D= 14C

Increasing order: A<C<B<D

OR

Multplying:
A= 5C
B= 0
C=5C
D=195C

Increasing order: B<A=C<D

Any insight is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is not clear. I can't see the picture.

rl.bhat said:
The problem is not clear. I can't see the picture.

I have attached the picture.

Thanks for the effort.

Attachments

• 19-31b.gif
    19-31b.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 988
Find the charge transferred in each case irrespective of the sign of the charge.

rl.bhat said:
Find the charge transferred in each case irrespective of the sign of the charge.

When the pair of charged spheres are put in contact, the charge acquired will be (q1+q2) /2 each.

Thus, for pair A, the charge transferred is - 2q, for pair B it is 4q, for pair C it is - 3q and for pair D it is q. hence, the increasing order of magnitude of charge transferred is C < A < D < B.

Am I doing it correctly?

the increasing order of magnitude of charge transferred is C < A < D < B.
This is not correct.
It should be
D<C<A<B

Last edited:
rl.bhat said:
the increasing order of magnitude of charge transferred is C < A < D < B.
This is not correct.
It should be
D<C=A<B

Can you explain why? I don't get it.

When kept in contact, the potentials of the spheres equalize. Since the spheres are of same radius, this would mean that the charges on the spheres equalize.
As you correctly said, the final charge on each sphere will be Q1 + Q2 /2
Charge transferred = Q1 + Q2 /2 - Q2 (Final - Initial)
Q1 - Q2 /2.

Magnitude of charge transferred

A = 2q
B = 4q
C = 3q
D = q

Decreasing order
B > C > A > D

Note: In case of A, you can either say +2q has been transferred from sphere 1 to 2 or -2q from sphere 2 to 1.

sArGe99 said:
When kept in contact, the potentials of the spheres equalize. Since the spheres are of same radius, this would mean that the charges on the spheres equalize.
As you correctly said, the final charge on each sphere will be Q1 + Q2 /2
Charge transferred = Q1 + Q2 /2 - Q2 (Final - Initial)
Q1 - Q2 /2.

Magnitude of charge transferred

A = 2q
B = 4q
C = 3q
D = q

Decreasing order
B > C > A > D

Note: In case of A, you can either say +2q has been transferred from sphere 1 to 2 or -2q from sphere 2 to 1.

Thank you very much! This is correct and I get it now. :)

1. What is meant by "increasing magnitude of the charge"?

"Increasing magnitude of the charge" refers to the act of increasing the amount of electric charge present on an object. Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter and can be positive or negative. Increasing the magnitude of the charge means adding more of these charged particles to an object.

2. How does increasing the magnitude of the charge affect an object?

Increasing the magnitude of the charge on an object can have several effects. For example, it can increase the strength of the electric field around the object, making it more attractive or repulsive to other charged objects. It can also increase the potential energy of the object, making it more likely to discharge or release its charge.

3. What factors determine the magnitude of the charge on an object?

The magnitude of the charge on an object is determined by the number of charged particles present on the object and their respective charges. The type of material the object is made of can also affect the magnitude of the charge, as some materials have a higher or lower affinity for attracting or repelling charged particles.

4. Can the magnitude of the charge on an object be too high?

Yes, the magnitude of the charge on an object can be too high. When the charge on an object reaches a certain threshold, it can cause the object to discharge or release its excess charge in a sudden and powerful burst of electricity. This is commonly observed during lightning strikes, where the charge on the clouds becomes too high and is released in the form of lightning bolts.

5. How can we increase the magnitude of the charge on an object?

There are several ways to increase the magnitude of the charge on an object. One way is by rubbing two objects together, which transfers electrons from one object to the other, resulting in an increase in charge on one of the objects. Another way is by connecting the object to a source of electricity, such as a battery or a power outlet, which can transfer additional charge to the object.