Indefinite Integration Derivation ?

In summary, the problem was that the author was unable to solve an indefinite integral using standard trigonometric substitution techniques. However, he was able to find the answer by using a change of variable and integrating a hyperbolic function.
f(x)

Homework Statement

I want to prove the standard result for indefinite integrals that [tex] \int \frac{1}{a^2-x^2} .dx\ =\ \frac{1}{2a}\ln{(\frac{a+x}{a-x})} \\ \mbox{But the problem is that i am unable to do so. I get this--}
\int {\frac{1}{a^2-x^2} .dx } \\ [/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{2a}\int {\frac{2a}{a^2-x^2} .dx} \\
= \frac{1}{2a}\int{ \frac{a+x+a-x}{a^2-x^2}} \\ [/tex]
[tex]

= \frac{1}{2a}\int {\frac{1}{a-x}+\frac{1}{a+x} .dx} \\
[/tex]
[tex]
= \frac{1}{2a}(\int {\frac{1}{a-x}}+\int{\frac{1}{a+x}} ) \\
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2a}\ln{(a-x)}+ln{(a+x)} .dx [/tex]
I used this from an earlier derivation of [tex]
\int{\frac{1}{x^2-a^2} } \mbox{where } \frac{1}{2a}(\int{ \frac{1}{x-a}}+\int{\frac{1}{x+a}} ) [/tex]
was converted to [tex]
= \frac{1}{2a}\ln{(x-a)}-ln{(x-a)} .dx [/tex] similarly Plz suggest where i went wrong and suggest a way to get the desired proof
Thx

EDIT: There's some trouble with latex. The code i entered was -: (space to avoid repetition)
[i tex] \int \frac{1}{a^2-x^2} .dx\ =\ \frac{1}{2a}\ln{(\frac{a+x}{a-x})} \\ \mbox{But the problem is that i am unable to do so. I get this--}
\int {\frac{1}{a^2-x^2} .dx } \\
= \frac{1}{2a}\int {\frac{2a}{a^2-x^2} .dx} \\
= \frac{1}{2a}\int{ \frac{a+x+a-x}{a^2-x^2}} \\
= \frac{1}{2a}\int {\frac{1}{a-x}+\frac{1}{a+x} .dx} \\
= \frac{1}{2a}(\int {\frac{1}{a-x}}+\int{\frac{1}{a+x}} ) \\
= \frac{1}{2a}\ln{a-x}+ln{a+x} .dx mbox{I used this from an earlier derivation of }
\int{\frac{1}{x^2-a^2} } \ mbox{where } \frac{1}{2a}(\int{ \frac{1}{x-a}}+\int{\frac{1}{x+a}} )
mbox{ was converted to ln similarly } [/i tex]
I am unable to get the complete msg?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried trig. substitutions? If so, which one?

And, btw, asking others where you have gone wrong without showing your work will not work.

neutrino said:
Have you tried trig. substitutions? If so, which one?

And, btw, asking others where you have gone wrong without showing your work will not work.
I HAVE shown my work...its only that i can't get it working with latex. Anyways its more or less working..so please check again :)

If your final answer is (ln(a-x)+ln(a+x))/(2*a), there is a sign error on the first log. It should be negative. (Why?). Then if you combine the logs using ln(a)-ln(b)=ln(a/b) you get exactly what you are looking for.

Dick said:
If your final answer is (ln(a-x)+ln(a+x))/(2*a), there is a sign error on the first log. It should be negative. (Why?). Then if you combine the logs using ln(a)-ln(b)=ln(a/b) you get exactly what you are looking for.

Ahh fine...i got it. Its s'posed to be negatibe because in 1/(a-x) , x is -ve
Thx for the help

f(x) said:
I HAVE shown my work...its only that i can't get it working with latex. Anyways its more or less working..so please check again :)
Oh, sorry about that. I guess Dick has provided you the answer. :smile:

As said: there is a trig substitution that you can use that will help out a lot =). Simply, draw a triangle and you will understand what you can substitute it with.

You should end up with a trig function, sin, cos, csc, sec, tan, cot (x). From there, you can go back to the original equation based on your choice heh.

AngeloG said:
As said: there is a trig substitution that you can use that will help out a lot =). Simply, draw a triangle and you will understand what you can substitute it with.

If you had read the previous posts, you would have seen that this problem has been solved without trig substitutions. He simply multiplied the original integrand by one and added zero (rather creatively), and voila, out came the result. The only problem in the original post was in computing [itex]\int \frac 1{a-x} dx = \ln(a-x)[/itex].

If you actually do a trig substitution on this, you'll see that it is really the long way around.

Yeah I thought about trig substitution...IMO i think it has to be either [tex] x=acos\Theta [/tex] or [tex] x=asin \Theta [/tex] But on solving further it still leaves [tex] sec\Theta or cosec\Theta [/tex] to be integrated, which gives something in form of [tex] \frac{1}{a} \ln{\mid cosec\Theta-cot\Theta \mid} +c [/tex]

Last edited:
You can also use the change of variable [itex] x=a\tanh t [/itex]. The result is immediate.

dextercioby said:
You can also use the change of variable [itex] x=a\tanh t [/itex]. The result is immediate.

I m yet unfamiliar with hyperbolic functions...:shy:

What is it with dexter and his hyperbolic substitutions :P

Could you do us a favour and show us how it works? I haven't worked with hyperbolics much either.

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{a^2 -x^2}\rightarrow \frac{1}{a}\int \frac{dt}{\cosh^2 t} \ \frac{1}{1-\tanh^2 t}=\frac{t}{a}+C\rightarrow \frac{1}{a} \mbox{argtanh}\frac{x}{a} +C [/tex]

assuming that's an "arc" instead of "arg", i see it now. thanks

O right that is so huh? Argument :) Forgot about my imaginary stuff for a while :)

Why do you think it's "arc" for "arctangent", "arcsine",... ?

Arcument :)

Related to Indefinite Integration Derivation ?

1. What is indefinite integration and derivation?

Indefinite integration and derivation are two mathematical operations that are used to find the original function from its derivative or vice versa. Indefinite integration is the process of finding the original function from its derivative, while derivation is the process of finding the derivative of a given function.

2. How do you perform indefinite integration and derivation?

To perform indefinite integration, you need to use the reverse chain rule, also known as the method of substitution. For derivation, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or the chain rule depending on the given function.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

The main difference between definite and indefinite integration is that indefinite integration yields a general solution, while definite integration yields a specific solution with numerical values. In other words, definite integration involves finding the area under the curve between specific limits, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function.

4. What are the applications of indefinite integration and derivation in science?

Indefinite integration and derivation are widely used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and motion, among others.

5. What are some common techniques for solving indefinite integration and derivation problems?

Some common techniques for solving indefinite integration and derivation problems include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, logarithmic differentiation, and partial fractions decomposition. It is important to have a good understanding of basic calculus rules and formulas to effectively use these techniques.