Solving Indefinite Integral: $\int \frac{sec^2 x}{\sqrt{1-tan^2 x}}dx$

• Thread starter benedwards2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indefinite
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the indefinite integral of \int \frac{sec^2 x}{\sqrt{1-tan^2 x}} dx and the use of substitutions and the chain rule to solve it. The derivative of arcsin is found to be \frac{1}{(1 - x^2)^\frac{1}{2}} and it is suggested to make a substitution involving u such that du = sec^2 x dx. The conversation also touches on the importance of memorizing derivative and integral forms and the usefulness of following examples to understand problem-solving techniques.
benedwards2020

Homework Statement

Find the indefinite integral of

[tex]\int \frac{sec^2 x}{\sqrt{1-tan^2 x}} dx [/tex]

I'm stuck on how to proceed with the denominator. I know that

[tex]\sqrt{1+tan^2 x}[/tex]

is equivalent to [tex]\\sec\theta[/tex]

but I can't seen to find an equivalent to what I have. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the derivative of arcsin?

Can you make a sustitution involving [itex]u[/itex] such that [itex]du = sec^2 x dx[/itex]?

The derivative of arcsin would be

[tex]\frac{1}{(1 - x^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Right. Suppose we put tan(x) in place of x?

This would give us

[tex]\frac{1}{(1 - tan^2 (x))^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Which leaves us with a term equivalent to us getting rid of the square root

d/dx(arcsin(tan(x)))=?. Don't forget the chain rule.

Last edited:
Hmm... This is where I'm losing it I think. The chain rule will give us

[tex]f(x)=arcsin[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{(1-x^2)^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=tan(x)[/tex]
[tex]g'(x)=1+tan^2 (x)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsin(tan(x))=\frac{1}{(1-x^2)^\frac{1}{2}} \times tan(x) \times \left( 1+tan^2 (x) \right)[/tex]

Not sure if this is right but I've provided my values so you can see where I've gone wrong

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I think I'm going way too fast and confusing you. George's step by step suggestion is probably much better. The chain rule is (f(g(x)))'=f'(g(x))*g'(x). You have written f'(x)*g(x)*g'(x). Do you see the difference? And there is a more compact way to write 1+tan(x)^2. When you finish this go back and look at the route George would have led you on.

Last edited:
Ok, is there a quick way of identifying what needs to be substituted. At the moment I'm doing it by trial and error, and obviously in an exam, that's not going to be very economical

You want something whose derivative is sec^2(x). Memorizing at least small list of derivative and integral forms is necessary to do this kind of stuff with any speed. You've already said that the derivative of tan(x) is tan^2(x)+1. This is certainly correct, but most people would probably respond with a different (but equivalent) answer. What does the wikipedia table of derivatives say?

Just had a look at wikipedia. It shows that the more common answer for the derivative of tan(x) is

[tex]sec^2 (x)[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{1}{cos^2 (x)}[/tex]

Exactly, so if u=tan(x) then du=sec^2(x)*dx.

Ok, I'm happy with how we got to this point.

So what I have now is the integral of 'something' times sec^2(x) dx

Is this right? And now I need to find what makes up the equivalent of the original integral... Am I on the right lines here?

I think half the problem I'm having with this question is that my books don't give such detailed examples. I need to follow a lot more examples... Do you know of any good sites (apart from this one) that gives plenty of worked examples?

Last edited:
The point is that u=tan(x) might be a good substitution to do on the original integral.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the reverse process of differentiation. It is a mathematical concept that involves finding the original function when given its derivative.

2. What is the general rule for solving indefinite integrals?

The general rule for solving indefinite integrals is to use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration. This rule can be applied to most basic functions.

3. What is the specific method for solving the given indefinite integral?

To solve the given indefinite integral, we need to first apply the trigonometric identity of sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x. Then, we can use the substitution method by letting u = tanx and du = sec^2x dx. This will simplify the integral to ∫√(1+u^2) du, which can be solved using the inverse hyperbolic sine function.

4. Can the given indefinite integral be solved using any other method?

Yes, the given indefinite integral can also be solved using the integration by parts method. This involves breaking the integral into two parts and using the product rule of differentiation to find the antiderivatives. However, this method may be more complicated and time-consuming for this specific integral.

5. What is the importance of solving indefinite integrals in mathematics?

Solving indefinite integrals is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the original function when given its derivative. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as finding the position of an object from its velocity function or finding the amount of change in a quantity over time. Indefinite integrals are also essential in the process of solving differential equations, which are used to model various natural phenomena.