Inelastic Collision with Friction in car accident

In summary, the expert witness was called to analyze an auto accident where two cars, one with a mass of 2100 kg and one with a mass of 1400 kg, collided and locked bumpers. The cars slid to a stop, leaving skid marks of 7.25 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road was measured to be 0.650. Using equations for inelastic collisions and sliding, the expert determined that the speed of car A before the collision was 53.748 mph and that it was exceeding the speed limit of 35.0 mph by 18.8 mph. The calculation also took into account the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8
Abarak

Homework Statement

You are called as an expert witness to analyze the following auto accident: Car B, of mass 2100 [tex]kg[/tex], was stopped at a red light when it was hit from behind by car A, of mass 1400 [tex]kg[/tex]. The cars locked bumpers during the collision and slid to a stop. Measurements of the skid marks left by the tires showed them to be 7.25 [tex] m [/tex] long, and inspection of the tire tread revealed that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road was 0.650.

What was the speed ([tex] v [/tex]) of car A ([tex]mph[/tex]) just before the collision?

By how many [tex]mph[/tex] was car A exceeding the speed limit 35.0 [tex]mph[/tex]?

Homework Equations

I have tried
1.) [tex]m_1 v_1i + m_2 v_2i = (m_1+m_2)v_f[/tex] (does not work)
2.) [tex]v_f^2-v_o^2=2-U_k(g)D[/tex] (does not work)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first equation above I know will not work because it was designed for a perfect inelastic collision. I need to take into account the friction, that is why I used equation two.

[tex]v_f^2-v_o^2=2-U_k(g)D[/tex]
[tex]v_f = 0 m/s[/tex]
[tex]v_0 = ?[/tex] (need to find for problem #1)
[tex]U_k = 0.650[/tex]
[tex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/tex]
[tex]D = 7.25m[/tex]

Any ideas to what I could be doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abarak said:
The first equation above I know will not work because it was designed for a perfect inelastic collision. I need to take into account the friction, that is why I used equation two.
You need both of those equations. First there is an inelastic collision (equation #1), then there is sliding (equation #2).

Work backwards!

[tex]v_f = 0 m/s[/tex]
[tex]v_0 = ?[/tex] (need to find for problem #1)
[tex]U_k = 0.650[/tex]
[tex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/tex]
[tex]D = 7.25m[/tex]
Good. Solve for v_0, which is the speed of the stuck cars after the collision.

Hmmm... now I understand. [tex]v_0[/tex] in problem 2 = [tex]v_f[/tex] in problem 1.

Problem 2:
[tex]v_0 = 6.647 m/s[/tex]

Problem 1:
[tex]m_1 v_1i + m_2 v_2i = (m_1+m_2)v_f[/tex]
[tex]1400 v_1i + 2100*0 = (1400+2100)6.647[/tex]
[tex]v_1i = 16.618 m/s[/tex]

is 16.618 m/s right?

Abarak said:
Hmmm... now I understand. [tex]v_0[/tex] in problem 2 = [tex]v_f[/tex] in problem 1.
Exactly.

Problem 2:
[tex]v_0 = 6.647 m/s[/tex]
Correct approach, but revisit your calculation. (I think you forgot to multiply by 2.)

Problem 1:
[tex]m_1 v_1i + m_2 v_2i = (m_1+m_2)v_f[/tex]
[tex]1400 v_1i + 2100*0 = (1400+2100)6.647[/tex]
[tex]v_1i = 16.618 m/s[/tex]
Also the correct approach. But redo with revised numbers.

And when you're done you'll have to convert from m/s to mph in order to answer the questions.

First I wanted to just say thanks for the help!

When I perform the calculation for [tex]v_f^2-v_o^2=2-U_k(g)D[/tex] I always get 6.647 m/s ??

[tex]v_f = 0 m/s[/tex]
[tex]v_0 = ?[/tex]
[tex]U_k = 0.650[/tex]
[tex]g = 9.8 m/s^2[/tex]
[tex]D = 7.25m[/tex]

[tex]0^2-v_o^2=2-0.650*9.8*7.25[/tex] = 6.647 m/s ?

(I think you forgot to multiply by 2.)
Where do I multiply by 2?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the unit conversion. I almost forgot.

Abarak said:
Where do I multiply by 2?
Right here:
When I perform the calculation for [tex]v_f^2-v_o^2=2-U_k(g)D[/tex] I always get 6.647 m/s ??
Spot the 2!
Let me rewrite that equation more clearly:
[tex]v_f^2-v_o^2= -2 \mu_k g D[/tex]

Thanks for the help Doc Al!

I was able to get the right answer of 53.748 mph for question 1 and 18.8 mph for question 2.

Thx this hlp me solved similar question.But may i ask why we should consider the acceleration as 9.8 m/s^2 ?

kahwei said:
But may i ask why we should consider the acceleration as 9.8 m/s^2 ?
Who says the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2? (That's g, a constant describing the Earth's gravity.)

kahwei said:
Thx this hlp me solved similar question.But may i ask why we should consider the acceleration as 9.8 m/s^2 ?

Because the average gravity of Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s2, (9.80665). Oh well, the vertical acceleration. Therefore, it's might be considered as convenient. What do I know. ^_^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

Related to Inelastic Collision with Friction in car accident

1. How does friction affect an inelastic collision in a car accident?

Friction can have a significant impact on an inelastic collision in a car accident. Friction is a force that opposes motion and can cause objects to slow down, change direction, or stop altogether. In a car accident, friction between the tires and the road can cause the car to slow down or change direction, leading to a more inelastic collision.

2. What factors influence the amount of friction in a car accident?

The amount of friction in a car accident can be influenced by various factors such as the speed of the vehicles, the type of surface the vehicles are traveling on, and the condition of the tires. The weight and size of the vehicles can also play a role in the amount of friction generated during a collision.

3. How does the coefficient of friction impact an inelastic collision in a car accident?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In an inelastic collision in a car accident, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road can affect the amount of force and energy transferred between the vehicles. A higher coefficient of friction can result in a more inelastic collision, as more energy is dissipated as heat due to the increased friction.

4. Can friction in a car accident lead to more severe injuries?

Yes, friction in a car accident can contribute to more severe injuries. The force and energy dissipated through friction can cause more damage to the vehicles and the occupants. Additionally, the abrupt changes in motion caused by friction can lead to whiplash injuries or impact injuries.

5. How can the impact of friction in a car accident be reduced?

The impact of friction in a car accident can be reduced by maintaining proper tire inflation and tread depth, as well as ensuring that the road surface is free of debris and other hazards. Lowering speed and maintaining a safe following distance can also help reduce the force generated by friction in a collision.