Inertia of a solid vertical disk about it's diameter

In summary, the moment of inertia of a solid, uniform density disk rotating about a diameter can be derived using vertical rods. The inertia of a thin vertical rod is given by m*r^2. The area density is represented by σ and the total mass by M. The infinitesimal amount of mass is denoted by dm and infinitesimal amount of inertia by dI. The total area is A and the radius of the circle is R. The method to derive the moment of inertia is limited to single integrals due to the prerequisite of calculus 1. By substituting x=Rsin(theta), the integral for moment of inertia can be solved and the result is I=1/4MR^2, which is the desired solution.
DaveyThompson

Homework Statement

Derive the moment of inertia of a solid, uniform density, disk rotating about a diameter using vertical rods.
Diagram: http://i.imgur.com/TQIjz.png

Only the radius of the circle and the inertia of a thin rod is given

Homework Equations

Inertia of thin vertical rod = m*r^2
σ= area density
M= Total mass
I= inertia
dm= infinitesimal amount of mass
dI= infinitesimal amount of inertia
A= total area
R= radius of the circle

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the method given in my class. Because calculus 1 is the only prerequisite we can not use double integrals.I of rod = m*x^2
dI= dm
*x^2
dm=σ*da
da= 2y*dx
σ= M/A
A=pi*R^2
σ= M/(pi*R^2)
dm=M/(pi*R^2) * 2y*dx
dI= M/(pi*R^2) * 2y*x^2 * dxFrom here we have to put y in terms of x which I think must be done using the Pythagorean theorem so:
y=(R^2-x^2)^(1/2)

subbing in we get:

dI= M/(pi*R^2) * 2(R^2-x^2)^(1/2) * x^2 * dx

This is why I get stuck because I am not quite sure how to integrate that. What is should come out to be is I = 1/4 MR^2. If anyone can offer an explanation it would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
try substituting x=Rsin(theta).

What is inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes its resistance to change in motion. It is often referred to as the "law of inertia" and is one of the fundamental principles of physics.

What is a solid vertical disk?

A solid vertical disk is a three-dimensional object that has a circular shape and is oriented in a vertical position. It is often used in physics experiments to demonstrate the concept of rotational inertia.

What is the diameter of a disk?

The diameter of a disk is the distance across the center of the circle from one side to the other. It is a measure of the disk's size and is usually denoted by the symbol "D".

How is the inertia of a solid vertical disk about its diameter calculated?

The inertia of a solid vertical disk about its diameter can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

What factors can affect the inertia of a solid vertical disk about its diameter?

The inertia of a solid vertical disk about its diameter can be affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. The larger the mass and the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the inertia will be.