Initial energy stored in springy steel before oscillating

In summary, Janice is wondering why the book answer for the energy stored in a spring is 3.2mJ, and the way it was arrived at is by considering the stored energy to be equal to the KE at the first peak in KE.
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok so, for part b ii)
The solution did this :
1/2 (0.065) (2π /0.3)2 (1.5 x 10-2)2, which is the KE of the mass when its speed is max.
But why do they calculate the energy when it is at its equilibrium position where its speed is max?
I assume that the energy before release is equal to the energy when it passes through the equilibrium position as there is no energy lost.. But that can't be true because the mass undergoes damped simple harmonic motion.
Can someone please explain to me? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I assume that the energy before release is equal to the energy when it passes through the equilibrium position as there is no energy lost.. But that can't be true because the mass undergoes damped simple harmonic motion.
Can someone please explain to me? Thanks in advance

i do not think the assumption of energy before release converting to kinetic energy at equilibrium position is correct- the steel which is springy and its length will vary as it moves-v and some energy will be stored in the springy part- pl try to analyse the motion taking this fact into consideration- which leads to damping.

Janiceleong26 said:
But why do they calculate the energy when it is at its equilibrium position where its speed is max?
I assume that the energy before release is equal to the energy when it passes through the equilibrium position as there is no energy lost.. But that can't be true
It depends what you mean by the energy stored in a system. Batteries do not return all the energy put into them, so is the stored energy what you put in or what you can get out?

haruspex said:
It depends what you mean by the energy stored in a system. Batteries do not return all the energy put into them, so is the stored energy what you put in or what you can get out?
Hmm..I guess it's what I can get out?

drvrm said:
i do not think the assumption of energy before release converting to kinetic energy at equilibrium position is correct- the steel which is springy and its length will vary as it moves-v and some energy will be stored in the springy part- pl try to analyse the motion taking this fact into consideration- which leads to damping.
Could the assumption be true for the first half of the oscillation (t=0 to t=1.5)? Since the amplitude of oscillation is the same at the other half of the motion (see fig.2.2) ? So elastic PE stored before released = KE at equi. position?

Janiceleong26 said:
Could the assumption be true for the first half of the oscillation (t=0 to t=1.5)? Since the amplitude of oscillation is the same at the other half of the motion (see fig.2.2) ? So elastic PE stored before released = KE at equi. position?

i think it needs to analyze the situation from beginning-
1. when it was at rest initially at equilibrium draw the free body diagram and calculate the compression in spring.
2. as it is moved to 1.5 cm then again draw the free body diagram and calculate the compression in springy steel.
3. compare the energy at the two places - i think one can get the stored energy at the beginning of the motion.

Janiceleong26 said:
Hmm..I guess it's what I can get out?
With that definition, the energy at first peak velocity would be the right answer.
@drvrm, it is only possible to state the stored energy in one or other of those senses, either what was put in or what was got out. In between, an unknown amount of energy was turned into heat during the energy storage phase, and another unknown amount of energy was turned into heat in the extraction phase.
Perhaps you could assume that the same fraction of energy is lost in each phase. But it seems to me that the requirement in this thread is to explain the book answer.

Janiceleong26 said:
The solution did this :
1/2 (0.065) (2π /0.3)2 (1.5 x 10-2)2, which is the KE of the mass when its speed is max.

haruspex said:
But it seems to me that the requirement in this thread is to explain the book answer.
check the above -does it come to 3.2 mJ?

drvrm said:
check the above -does it come to 3.2 mJ?
Yes. So?
Janice stated in the OP that the book answer was 3.2mJ, and that the way it was arrived at was by considering the stored energy to be equal to the KE at the first peak in KE. And as you note, that method leads to that answer. Her puzzlement is why the method is considered valid, given that there should be losses during the first quarter oscillation.
Instead of addressing that, you appear to have been arguing for calculating that loss.

Likes Janiceleong26
haruspex said:
Yes. So?
Janice stated in the OP that the book answer was 3.2mJ, and that the way it was arrived at was by considering the stored energy to be equal to the KE at the first peak in KE. And as you note, that method leads to that answer. Her puzzlement is why the method is considered valid, given that there should be losses during the first quarter oscillation.
Instead of addressing that, you appear to have been arguing for calculating that loss.

No,Agrreing to your wise advice i just tried to get the number and i may be wrong i was getting 0.32 mJ that's why i called for the check.
if its all right -no problem.

haruspex said:
With that definition, the energy at first peak velocity would be the right answer.
Oh I see.. Ok thanks a lot !

drvrm said:
No,Agrreing to your wise advice i just tried to get the number and i may be wrong i was getting 0.32 mJ that's why i called for the check.
if its all right -no problem.
Ah, ok. Do you get 3.2mJ now? I just checked it again, and I think it is right.

haruspex said:
Ah, ok. Do you get 3.2mJ now? I just checked it again, and I think it is right.
No gravity in the problem?

Biker said:
No gravity in the problem?
That gets tricky. If we assume the strip is uniform but massless, its displacement at a given point will be a cubic function of its distance from one end. Not sure how that turns into a restorative force at the mass.
If we pretend it's like an inverted pendulum, i.e. the strip remains straight and flexes from the base, all that does is reduce the effective spring constant, so still produces the damped harmonic oscillation. The gained PE in going from flexed to vertical would then have to be added to the peak KE to find the energy released by the spring.
With a more realistic behaviour of the strip, I think it comes down to finding the curve length of a cubic, which is nasty.

1. What is the definition of initial energy stored in springy steel before oscillating?

The initial energy stored in springy steel before oscillating refers to the potential energy that is stored in a spring when it is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position. This energy is in the form of elastic potential energy and is the result of the deformation of the spring.

2. How is the initial energy of a spring determined?

The initial energy of a spring can be determined by the formula: E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the initial energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and is determined by the material and shape of the spring.

3. Does the initial energy of a spring depend on its mass?

No, the initial energy of a spring does not depend on its mass. The initial energy is solely determined by the spring constant and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The mass of the spring only affects the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, but not the initial energy.

4. How does the initial energy affect the motion of a spring?

The initial energy stored in a spring determines the amplitude of its oscillations. A higher initial energy will result in a larger amplitude and a longer period of oscillation. The initial energy also determines the maximum potential energy that the spring can reach during its oscillations.

5. Can the initial energy of a spring be changed?

Yes, the initial energy of a spring can be changed by altering its displacement or the spring constant. Increasing the displacement or the spring constant will result in a higher initial energy, while decreasing them will result in a lower initial energy. Additionally, the initial energy can also be changed by adding or removing weights from the spring.