What is the initial velocity of a home run ball?

In summary, a ball is hit at an angle of 32° and it reaches a wall 18.5 m high in 0.5 seconds. The ball has a velocity of 93.3 m/s when it reaches the wall.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I need help!

Some smart physics person, help me out here.

A ball player hits a home run, and the baseball just clears a wall 18.5 m high located 140.0 m from home plate. The ball is hit at an angle of 32° to the horizontal, and air resistance is negligible. Assume the ball is hit at a height of 1.0 m above the ground.

a. What is the initial speed of the ball? Solve for time in the x-direction and substitute it in the formula for the vertical position.

b. How much time does it take for the ball to reach the wall? Solve using only the vertical component of the velocity or the horizontal component.

c. Find the velocity components and the speed of the ball when it reaches the wall.
Vy,f
Vx,f
Vf

Physics news on Phys.org
the first one is pretty simple - the question already tells u what to do.

use this equation and get t:

[tex]
x = (v_i \cos (\alpha))t
[/tex]

once u get t, u can sub it in

[tex]
y = y_i + (v_i \sin (\alpha))t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2
[/tex]

and u will get the initial speed.

Well - u already got the time - but they want u to get it off only the vertical component - so all u do is put y = height of the wall and since u have all teh other variables - u can now solve for t.

Now for the velocities ... use the equation and sub in t:

[tex]
v_y = v_i \sin (\alpha) - gt
[/tex]

[tex]
v_x = v_i \cos (\alpha)
[/tex]

i don't know about v_f - but i think u shuld use the equations from above and find y(x) and get the derivative at time t, actually i think u can just vectorially do Vy + Vx

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to solve for t... I'm sorry this seems dumb. But I need more help

...x = v cos (theta) t

divide both sides by vcos(theta)...and you get

t = x/(v cos (theta)

Now plug this into the equation for y...

When you do this, you should be able to solve for initial velocity.

What is initial speed in physics?

In physics, initial speed refers to the speed of an object at the beginning of its motion. This can also be referred to as the initial velocity.

How is initial speed calculated?

The initial speed of an object can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Why is initial speed important in physics?

Initial speed is important in physics because it is a fundamental parameter in understanding the motion of objects. It helps determine the final speed of an object and its position at a certain time.

How does initial speed affect an object's motion?

The initial speed of an object affects its motion by determining its velocity, acceleration, and displacement over a certain period of time. A higher initial speed will result in a greater final speed and a longer distance traveled.

What factors can affect an object's initial speed?

The initial speed of an object can be affected by factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the medium in which the object is traveling can also affect its initial speed.