Initial value problem - differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given equation with the initial condition of y = π/2, and the attempt to make the equation exact. After dividing both sides by y, it is found that the equation is not always possible to make exact, as it may involve dividing by zero. The final answer is xy - cos(x)cos(y) = 0.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am given (y^2 + y sin x cos y) dx + (xy + y cos x sin y) dy = 0, y(0) = π/2 .
I need to solve this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-12-6_20-16-41.png

At this point they still aren't exact, so I gave up. I can't figure out what the problem is. Is it possible that I have to continue trying to make them exact?

I know that the answer is: xy-cosxcosy=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:

Homework Statement

I am given (y^2 + y sin x cos y) dx + (xy + y cos x sin y) dy = 0, y(0) = π/2 .
I need to solve this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 110019

At this point they still aren't exact, so I gave up. I can't figure out what the problem is. Is it possible that I have to continue trying to make them exact?

I know that the answer is: xy-cosxcosy=0
Divide both sides by y, to get ##(y + \sin(x)\cos(y))dx + (x + \cos(x)\sin(y)) dy = 0##.
Now check for exactness. Note that since ##y(0) = \pi/2##, it's reasonable to assume that ##y \ne 0##.

Mark44 said:
Divide both sides by y, to get ##(y + \sin(x)\cos(y))dx + (x + \cos(x)\sin(y)) dy = 0##.
Now check for exactness. Note that since ##y(0) = \pi/2##, it's reasonable to assume that ##y \ne 0##.
Can we always do this if we have a common factor like y in this case?
Thank you, I spent a very long time trying to figure this out

Cocoleia said:
Can we always do this if we have a common factor like y in this case?
I wouldn't say you can always do it. By getting rid of a factor of y, we are possibly dividing by zero. Since the initial condition is that ##y(0) = \pi/2##, if necessary, we can restrict y to some interval that includes ##\pi/2## but doesn't include zero.

1. What is an initial value problem in differential equations?

An initial value problem in differential equations is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to an ordinary differential equation (ODE) that satisfies given initial conditions. These initial conditions provide the starting point for solving the ODE and finding the solution.

2. How is an initial value problem solved?

The solution to an initial value problem is typically found by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or series solutions. These techniques help to reduce the differential equation into a simpler form that can then be solved using mathematical operations.

3. What are some real-world applications of initial value problems in differential equations?

Initial value problems in differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering to model and understand natural phenomena. Some common applications include studying population growth, predicting the spread of infectious diseases, and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits.

4. What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

The main difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem is the type of conditions that are given. In an initial value problem, the conditions are specified at a single point, typically the initial time or location. In a boundary value problem, the conditions are specified at multiple points, typically at the boundaries of a domain.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when solving initial value problems in differential equations?

One limitation when solving initial value problems is that not all differential equations can be solved analytically. In these cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution. Additionally, initial value problems can become more complex and difficult to solve when dealing with higher-order ODEs or systems of differential equations.