Solving Integral Equation: Analytical & Numerical Solutions

In summary, Luca found that the equation can be solved analytically if the variables are treated as limits, and numerically if the variables are treated as independent variables. There is no exact answer, but he found an approximate way to find the analytical solution.
Methavix
hi all, i have the following integral equation to solve:

.y......x
./....../
| [1/(c1-c2*y)]dy = | [1/(1-x^2/c3^2)]dx
/....../

where c1, c2, c3 are constants.

Can I solve it analytically? If not, how can i dot to find the function x(y) or y(x)? Otherwise, does it exist an approximated way to find the analytical solution? Can I solve it only numerically?

Thanks
Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
I think maybe you are being confused because the x and y are appearing both as limits of integration and as the variables of integration. The variables of integration are dummy symbols. If you just perform the integrations its then easy enough to solve for y(x).

In other words, treat it as
[tex]\int_0^y \frac{1}{c_1- c_2t}dt= \int_0^x \frac{1}{1- \frac{s^2}{c_3^2}} ds[/tex]

If what you have written is really the problem, then the left side of the equation is a function of y only and the right hand side is a function of x only. The only way they can be equal is if they are each equal to the same constant:
[tex]\int_0^y \frac{1}{c_1- c_2t}dt= A[/itex]
and
[tex]\int_0^y \frac{1}{1- \frac{s^2}{c_3^2}}ds= A[/tex]

However, as Dick said, those aren't really "integral equations"- there is no variable occurring inside the integral other than the dummy "variable of integration". In particular, those two integrals are NOT constant and so can't be equal! Something doesn't make sense.

Editted after looking at benorin's solution: My last paragraph is wrong because y is a function of x- what I said is only true if x and y are independent variables. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Methavix said:
hi all, i have the following integral equation to solve:

[tex]\int_{0}^{y}\frac{dY}{c_1-c_2Y}=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dX}{1-\frac{X^2}{c_3^2}}[/tex]​

where c1, c2, c3 are constants.

Can I solve it analytically? If not, how can i dot to find the function x(y) or y(x)? Otherwise, does it exist an approximated way to find the analytical solution? Can I solve it only numerically?

Thanks
Luca

For the lefthand-side, substitute [tex]u=c_1-c_2Y\Rightarrow -c_2dY[/tex] so that [tex]0\leq Y\leq y\Rightarrow c_1\leq u\leq c_1-c_2y[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\int_{0}^{y}\frac{dY}{c_1-c_2Y}=-\frac{1}{c_2}\int_{c_1}^{c_1-c_2y}\frac{du}{u}=-\frac{1}{c_2}\left[\ln |u|\right]_{u=c_1}^{c_1-c_2y}=\frac{1}{c_2}\ln\left|\frac{c_1}{c_1-c_2y}\right|[/tex]​

and for the righthand-side substitute [tex]u=\frac{X}{c_3} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{c_3}dX[/tex] so that [tex]0\leq X\leq x\Rightarrow 0\leq u\leq \frac{x}{c_3}[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\int_{0}^{x}\frac{dX}{1-\frac{X^2}{c_3^2}}=c_3\int_{0}^{\frac{x}{c_3}}\frac{du}{1-u^2}[/tex]​

using partial fractions we have

[tex]=\frac{c_3}{2}\int_{0}^{\frac{x}{c_3}}\left(\frac{1}{u+1}-\frac{1}{u-1}\right) du=\frac{c_3}{2}\left[\ln |u+1|-\ln |u-1|\right]_{0}^{\frac{x}{c_3}} =\frac{c_3}{2}\left[\ln\left|\frac{u+1}{u-1}\right|\right]_{0}^{\frac{x}{c_3}}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{c_3}{2}\ln\left|\frac{\frac{x}{c_3}+1}{\frac{x}{c_3}-1}\right|-\ln 1 = \frac{c_3}{2}\ln\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|[/tex]​

hence the final equation is

[tex]\frac{1}{c_2}\ln\left|\frac{c_1}{c_1-c_2y}\right|= \frac{c_3}{2}\ln\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|[/tex]​

I will solve for $y(x)$ (a little easier):

[tex]\ln\left|\frac{c_1}{c_1-c_2y}\right|= \frac{c_2c_3}{2}\ln\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|= \ln\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|^{\frac{c_2c_3}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{c_1-c_2y}\right|=\frac{1}{|c_1|}\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|^{\frac{1}{2}c_2c_3}[/tex]

[tex]\left|c_1-c_2y\right|=|c_1|\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|^{-\frac{1}{2}c_2c_3}[/tex]

[tex]c_1-c_2y=\pm |c_1|\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right| ^{-\frac{1}{2}c_2c_3} [/tex]

[tex]\boxed{y=\frac{c_1\mp|c_1|\left|\frac{x+c_3}{x-c_3}\right|^{-\frac{1}{2}c_2c_3}}{c_2} }[/tex]​

Last edited:
thank you very much

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function within an integral sign. It describes the relationship between a function and its integral.

2. What are analytical solutions?

Analytical solutions for integral equations are found by using mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation to solve the equation and obtain an exact solution.

3. What are numerical solutions?

Numerical solutions for integral equations involve using numerical methods such as numerical integration or iterative methods to approximate the solution of the equation.

4. What are the advantages of using analytical solutions?

Analytical solutions provide exact solutions for integral equations, allowing for a better understanding of the problem and its behavior. They also tend to be faster to compute compared to numerical solutions.

5. What are the advantages of using numerical solutions?

Numerical solutions allow for the solution of more complex integral equations that may not have analytical solutions. They also provide a more accurate solution compared to analytical solutions, as they can handle a larger number of variables and more complicated functions.