1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral - I can't get the right answer

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Find the volume of the solid obtained when the given region is rotated about the x-axis.

Under [itex]y = (\sin{x})^{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] between 0 and pi.

The radius is... [itex]r = (\sin{x})^{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]

Then the area for any sample is... [itex]A (x) = \pi((\sin{x})^{\frac{3}{2}})^{2}[/itex]

Simplifying to... [itex]A (x) = \pi(\sin{x})^{3}[/itex]

Integrate between 0 and pi to get the volume...

[tex]V = \pi \int_{0}^{\pi} (\sin{x})^{3}[/tex]

[tex]V = \pi [ \frac{(\sin{x})^{4}}{4\cos{x}} ]_{0}^{\pi}[/tex]

But... sin(pi) and sin(0) both equal 0, making the volume 0. But it's actually (4/3)(pi). What am I missing?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2
    That's not the right way to integrate...

hint: Split (sin(x))^3 as (sin(x))^2.sin(x)
  4. Nov 29, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are missing the fact that
    is NOT
    [tex] \frac{(\sin{x})^{4}}{4\cos{x}}[/tex]
    Since there was not a cosine in the original integrand, you can't simply put one in. In particular,if you try to differentiate
    [tex]\frac{(\sin{x})^{4}}{4\cos{x}} [/tex]
    you do not get [itex]sin^3(x)[/itex] because you have to use the quotient rule and differentiate that new "cos(x)" also.

You surely learned how to do integrals of odd powers of sine and cosine long ago: separate out one "sin x" to use with the derivative:
    [tex]\int sin^2(x) sin(x)dx= \int (1- cos^2(x)) sin(x)dx[/itex]
    and let u= cos(x).

(Blast you, neutrino, you beat me again!)
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Nov 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you got confused doing the integral.

It's true that Integral sin^3x cos x dx = 1/4 sin^4 x

But you can't just "divide by cos x" and say Integral sin^3 x = 1/4 sin^4 x / cos x. Check out the ways you have learned to do integrals like sin^3 x.
  6. Nov 29, 2006 #5
    Ahhh shoot! It didn't even strike me to use substitution. I was being ignorant to the fact that it would require the quotient rule to derivate what I thought was the integral... Thank-you very much! I'm so relieved! :smile:
  7. Nov 29, 2006 #6
    The word is 'differentiate'. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?