1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral I can't Understand

1. Jul 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have posted what appears to be the solution of this integral. I don't understand how the first integral was split apart in the 3rd line.

2. Relevant equations
    The solution is included

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to break the integral apart but cant see how to do it...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2015 #2
    Looks like it might be integration by parts.

4. Jul 31, 2015 #3
    what would be the assignment of u and dv? Does the way that he solved this problem make sense to you?

5. Jul 31, 2015 #4
    Did you understand the second line? The third line is Int(uv)dx= u*int(v)dx- int{u'*(int v dx)}dx

Here int=integration. latex is not working here

6. Jul 31, 2015 #5
    It's a common formula, you must have learnt it. If you don't you will find it in your textbook. It's a necessary formula to do integration

7. Jul 31, 2015 #6
    Good day. As Dr Courtney said it is in fact by parts. Once the integral is split into two let:

[tex]u=x[/tex]
    [tex]du=dx[/tex]

[tex]v=-2(x^{4}+1)^{-1/2}[/tex]
    [tex]dv=(4x^{3})/(x^{4}+1)^{3/2}[/tex]

On the first integral.

Good grief it's nearly impossible to type out latex on an iPad!!

8. Jul 31, 2015 #7
    Here try this - take x2 out from the denominator , and then multiply - divide by two .

See what happens .

9. Jul 31, 2015 #8
    Thank you for your help.

DeldotB..Thank you... I understood that it was probably integration by parts but it wasn't immediately obvious how to make the u and dv assignment.

Qwertywerty..thank you. I took out an x^2 from the denominator and multiplied by 2 on top and bottom and then was able to let u = x^2 +x^(-2) but I would not have been able to have the presence of mind to have taken out the x^2 because I couldn't have foreseen what was going to happen...but thank you.

I cannot use Latex and would like to learn....is there a way to learn to use latex?

10. Jul 31, 2015 #9
    What you need is practice .

11. Jul 31, 2015 #10
    I have been trying to find problems of a nature that will allow me to do that...

12. Jul 31, 2015 #11
    Why don't you ask your teacher / a mentor here ?

13. Jul 31, 2015 #12
    I don't have a teacher or mentor here....I dont know anyone here.....

14. Jul 31, 2015 #13
    I meant a teacher at your school . You can always post at the academic guidance area if you don't want to ask your teacher .

15. Jul 31, 2015 #14
    Thank you but I don't go to school...I am out of school....I am just trying to learn on my own....

16. Jul 31, 2015 #15
    My bad . I'm not sure how that works .

17. Aug 1, 2015 #16
    Qwertywerty....what was it that led you to take out an from the bottom

18. Aug 1, 2015 #17
    Qwertywerty....what was it that led you to take out an x2 from the bottom

19. Aug 1, 2015 #18

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What resources are you attempting to use? I recommend highly that you buy a copy of "Schaum's Outline of Calculus" (Google 'shaums outline series'). It starts at the elementary level and takes you through all the types of things you are asking about here; it has more than 1000 solved problems where you are taken step-by-step through the solution, and it is accompanied by instructional on-line videos. It is not expensive, ranging from about $6 to $14 (used) on Amazon.

My apologies if you are using this already and it is still not enough.

20. Aug 1, 2015 #19
    Well , I could see that taking x2 from the denominator would give you the derivative of the denominator - Practice

I'm sorry if I've said something obvious .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  21. Aug 2, 2015 #20

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted