Integral in spherical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a three-dimensional Fourier transform and the evaluation of a product. The solution involves fixing the x-vector so that its angle with the z-axis is the same as its dot product with another vector, and rotating the coordinates to align with one of the axes. The choice of the z-axis is due to the rotation of the inclination azimuthal angle around it.
aaaa202
I recently had to do an integral like the one in the thread below:
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-of-radial-function-without-bessel-and-neuman
The problem I had was also evaluating the product and I am quite sure that the answer in the thread is the one I need. I just don't understand it fully. They say we fix our x-vector such that its angle with the z-axis is the same as its dot product with the other vector. But isn't x an everchanging vector? I meant we are integrating over it. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral will produce a function of vector ξ. For any given ξ, because of the spherical symmetry elsewhere, you can rotate your coordinates to align ξ with one of the axes. In this case, z was chosen.

Ahh I get it now. Though I don't see which other axis you could align it with? The inclination angle does not rotate around the x or y axis. The special reason we can use the z-axis is that the inclination azimuthal angle rotates around it. Do you not agree?

aaaa202 said:
Ahh I get it now. Though I don't see which other axis you could align it with? The inclination angle does not rotate around the x or y axis. The special reason we can use the z-axis is that the inclination azimuthal angle rotates around it. Do you not agree?

In principle you could choose the ξ direction for any of the axes, but maybe only choosing it as the z-axis makes the integral amenable.

What is the integral in spherical coordinates?

The integral in spherical coordinates is a method of calculating the volume of a three-dimensional shape using spherical coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

How is the integral in spherical coordinates different from the integral in Cartesian coordinates?

The integral in spherical coordinates uses a different set of variables to represent points in three-dimensional space. Instead of x, y, and z coordinates, it uses a radius (r), an azimuthal angle (θ), and a polar angle (φ). This allows for a more efficient and accurate calculation of volumes for shapes with spherical symmetry.

What is the formula for the integral in spherical coordinates?

The formula is ∫∫∫ f(r, θ, φ) r² sin(φ) dr dθ dφ, where f(r, θ, φ) is the function being integrated, r is the radius, θ is the azimuthal angle, and φ is the polar angle. This formula takes into account the curvature of the spherical coordinate system and the change in volume element.

What are some common applications of the integral in spherical coordinates?

The integral in spherical coordinates is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry, such as calculating the electric field of a charged sphere or the gravitational potential of a planet. It is also used in calculus to evaluate triple integrals and in multivariable calculus to study surfaces and volumes in three-dimensional space.

How can I convert between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from spherical to Cartesian coordinates, use the following equations: x = r sin(φ) cos(θ), y = r sin(φ) sin(θ), z = r cos(φ). To convert from Cartesian to spherical coordinates, use the equations: r = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), φ = cos⁻¹(z/r). These conversions are useful when working with integrals in spherical coordinates and when visualizing shapes in three-dimensional space.