1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral in spherical coordinates

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    I recently had to do an integral like the one in the thread below:
    http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-of-radial-function-without-bessel-and-neuman
    The problem I had was also evaluating the product and I am quite sure that the answer in the thread is the one I need. I just don't understand it fully. They say we fix our x-vector such that its angle with the z-axis is the same as its dot product with the other vector. But isn't x an everchanging vector? I meant we are integrating over it. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The integral will produce a function of vector ξ. For any given ξ, because of the spherical symmetry elsewhere, you can rotate your coordinates to align ξ with one of the axes. In this case, z was chosen.

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    Ahh I get it now. Though I dont see which other axis you could align it with? The inclination angle does not rotate around the x or y axis. The special reason we can use the z-axis is that the inclination azimuthal angle rotates around it. Do you not agree?

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In principle you could choose the ξ direction for any of the axes, but maybe only choosing it as the z-axis makes the integral amenable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted