Integral Inequality: Solving with Cauchy-Schwarz

In summary, the conversation is about proving a mathematical inequality using Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. The speaker suggests using a different inner product and explains their attempt at solving the problem. However, they are confused about the presence of cosine in the integral.
mohbb

Homework Statement

Hi,

I must show that ([tex]\int cos(x)f(x)dx[/tex])^2 <= 2 [tex]\int cos(x)f(x)^2dx[/tex]
(the integrals are from -pi/2 to pi/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should use cauchey-schwarz inequality to solve this where <f,g> = [tex]\int f(x)g(x)dx[/tex] In this case i just set g(x) = cos x
Therefore i get
([tex]\int cos(x)f(x)dx[/tex])^2 <= [tex]\int f(x)^2dx[/tex] [tex]\int cos^2(x)dx[/tex] I calculated then integral of cos^2(x) which is 1/2(x + sin(2x)/2) since cos^2(x) = (1 + cos(2x))/2

However this leaves me with pi/2 to get:
([tex]\int cos(x)f(x)dx[/tex])^2 <= pi/2 [tex]\int f(x)^2dx[/tex]

Howcome I am not getting the same answer as the one I should be proving, why does the question have a cos in the integral?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a different inner product. Define <f,g> to be the integral of f(x)*g(x)*cos(x)*dx.

What is an integral inequality?

An integral inequality is a mathematical statement that compares the values of an integral over a certain interval. It involves using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality to determine the upper and lower bounds of the integral.

What is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a mathematical inequality that states the absolute value of the inner product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their norms. In other words, it is a way to compare the lengths of two vectors in a multi-dimensional space.

How is the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality used to solve integral inequalities?

The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is used to determine the bounds of an integral by comparing it to another integral with known bounds. By applying the inequality, we can establish upper and lower limits for the integral, and therefore solve the integral inequality.

What is the significance of solving integral inequalities with Cauchy-Schwarz?

Solving integral inequalities with Cauchy-Schwarz allows us to find precise bounds for integrals, which is useful in many areas of mathematics and science. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between different integrals and their corresponding functions.

Are there any limitations to using Cauchy-Schwarz to solve integral inequalities?

Like any mathematical tool, there are limitations to the use of Cauchy-Schwarz in solving integral inequalities. It may not always provide the most precise bounds and may be more time-consuming than other methods. Additionally, it may not be applicable to all types of integrals. It is important to consider alternative methods of solving integral inequalities as well.