Integral of 1/sqrt(x)exp(-ix) dx using integration by parts

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
VVS
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Homework Statement


I have already evaluated the integral 1/sqrt(x)exp(-ix) using The Residue Theorem and now I was looking for another method. So I thought of applying integration by parts and I got this attached formula.

integral.jpg


Now I am wondering how to evaluate this series. My first doubt is whether it converges or not.
Actually I just want to evaluate it for n=1.
Does anyone have any ideas? Can this sum be expressed as an integral?



Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see much hope with that series, but how about applying the 2D polar coordinates trick used to calculate the integral of exp(-x2) from 0 to ∞?
 
Hey,

Yeah I know it is way to complicated.
But one question: If I know the answer of the integral doesn't that mean that that series should converge to that answer?
 
VVS said:
Yeah I know it is way to complicated.
But one question: If I know the answer of the integral doesn't that mean that that series should converge to that answer?
Assuming no algebraic errors, yes. But it could be that the easiest way to sum the series is by reversing the steps to the integral and solving that.