1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of 1/sqrt(x)exp(-ix) dx using integration by parts

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1

VVS

Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have already evaluated the integral 1/sqrt(x)exp(-ix) using The Residue Theorem and now I was looking for another method. So I thought of applying integration by parts and I got this attached formula.

integral.jpg

Now I am wondering how to evaluate this series. My first doubt is whether it converges or not.
    Actually I just want to evaluate it for n=1.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Can this sum be expressed as an integral?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see much hope with that series, but how about applying the 2D polar coordinates trick used to calculate the integral of exp(-x2) from 0 to ∞?

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3

VVS

Hey,

Yeah I know it is way to complicated.
    But one question: If I know the answer of the integral doesn't that mean that that series should converge to that answer?

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Assuming no algebraic errors, yes. But it could be that the easiest way to sum the series is by reversing the steps to the integral and solving that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted