Solving Int e^(1/x) - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter Muzikh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral \int e^{1/x} dx cannot be solved using elementary functions and requires a substitution and partial integration to solve using the exponential integral.
Muzikh
Here's my problem. [tex]\int e^{1/x} dx[/tex]
This was my attempt:

[tex]\int e^{1/x} dx , u = e^{1/x} , du = -\frac{ e^{1/x}}{x^{2}}[/tex]

so, [tex]x^{2} du = - e^{1/x}[/tex]

I = - [tex]\int x^{2} du , t = x , dt = (1) dx[/tex]

I = [tex]\int x^{2} [\frac{ e^{1/x}}{x^{2}}] (1) dx = \int e^{1/x} dx[/tex]

As you can see... I've only gone full circle with this approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This integral can not be written in terms of elementary functions, only in terms of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral" . To do this, you will need a substitution (different from the one you did, but simple) and partial integration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Int e^(1/x) - Step by Step Guide

1. What does "Int e^(1/x)" mean in this context?

"Int" stands for integral, which is a mathematical operation that represents the area under a curve. "e" is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, and "^" is the exponent symbol. Therefore, "Int e^(1/x)" means the integral of the function e^(1/x), which is an exponential function raised to the power of 1/x.

2. Why is it important to solve "Int e^(1/x)"?

Solving integrals is a fundamental part of calculus and is used to determine the area under a curve and to solve various real-world problems. In this case, solving "Int e^(1/x)" can help us understand the behavior of the exponential function and its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the steps to solve "Int e^(1/x)"?

The following are the steps to solve "Int e^(1/x)":1. Rewrite the integral using the substitution u = 1/x.2. Substitute u into the integral and change the limits of integration accordingly.3. Evaluate the integral using the power rule for integrals.4. Substitute back the original variable x into the final answer.5. Simplify the answer, if possible.

4. Can you provide an example of solving "Int e^(1/x)" step by step?

Example: Solve the integral "Int e^(1/x) dx" from x = 1 to x = 2.1. Rewrite the integral as "Int e^u * (-1/u^2) du" using the substitution u = 1/x.2. Substitute u and the new limits of integration (u = 1/2 to u = 1) into the integral.3. Evaluate the integral using the power rule for integrals: "(-e^u)/(u) + C".4. Substitute back u = 1/x into the final answer: "(-e^(1/x))/(1/x) + C".5. Simplify the answer to get the final result: "-x * e^(1/x) + C".Therefore, "Int e^(1/x) dx" from x = 1 to x = 2 is equal to "-2 * e^(1/2) + e".

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Int e^(1/x)"?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving "Int e^(1/x)" are:- Forgetting to change the limits of integration when using substitution.- Making mistakes when evaluating the integral using the power rule.- Forgetting to substitute back the original variable after solving the integral.- Not simplifying the final answer, if possible.