Integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems from an assignment involving integrals. The first problem asks to find the value of A in an integral equation that makes the integral equal to 1. The second problem asks to find the mean value of x in an integral equation. The poster attempted to solve the first problem by finding a value of A that does not seem to be a constant and asked for clarification. The expert suggests that the poster may not have studied integration yet and asks for more information. A further question about the limits of the integral is asked for clarification.
cooper607

Homework Statement

here's a problem from my assignment

let integral p(x)dx=Ae^-(x/a) dx...(1)
find value of A, that makes integral p(x)dx=1;
and
find mean x so that integral x*p(x)dx=a...2)

Homework Equations

now
to solve the first one i found out A to be (-1/a*e^(x/a))
but when i am integrating the two i can not find that value 1...please tell me if my value of A is ok or not...
and for the second problem how can i integrate those three components all together?
what is the formula, please notify here...
thanks in advance

The Attempt at a Solution

A to be (-1/a*e^(x/a))

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cooper607! :smile:

you mean [itex][Ae^{-x/a}]_0^{infty}\ =\ 1[/itex]
cooper607 said:
… to solve the first one i found out A to be (-1/a*e^(x/a))

A is supposed to be a constant, how can it be a function of x ? :redface:

cooper607 said:

Homework Statement

and

Homework Equations

now
but when i am integrating the two i can not find that value 1...please tell me if my value of A is ok or not...
and for the second problem how can i integrate those three components all together?
thanks in advance

A to be (-1/a*e^(x/a))

No, its not ok. How is it even a value in the first place?

cooper607 said:

Homework Statement

and

Homework Equations

now
thanks in advance

A to be (-1/a*e^(x/a))

Are A and a supposed to be constants? If so, then why would you equate A to (-1/a*e^(x/a))?

Let me ask a more fundamental question: have you studied integration? Both of the questions you ask are simple integration problems from introductory calculus. However, if you have not yet had that material, it would be understandable that you are having problems.

RGV

The title of this thread says that the integral is from 0 to infinity. Did you not evaluate the anti-derivative at those values?

1. What is the formula for the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity?

The formula for the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity is ∫e-λxdx = -1/λ * e-λx + C, where λ is the rate parameter and C is the integration constant.

2. What does the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity represent?

The integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity represents the total area under the curve of the exponential distribution, which is equivalent to the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to infinity.

3. How is the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity related to the cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

The integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity is equal to the CDF of the exponential distribution, which represents the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value.

4. Can the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity be evaluated analytically?

Yes, the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity can be evaluated analytically using the formula mentioned in the first question.

5. What happens to the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity if the rate parameter λ is increased?

If the rate parameter λ is increased, the integral of exponential distribution from zero to infinity will decrease, as the exponential distribution curve will become steeper and the area under the curve will decrease. This also means that the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to infinity will decrease as the rate of occurrence of events increases.