Fluids Mass Balance Integral Question | Homework Statement Explained

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about an integral in a fluid mechanics problem. The person is asking if it is legal to pull a variable through an integral, and the other person confirms that it is because the variable does not vary with the integration variable.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I have include the schematic for visual purposes only. My question is about an integral, so a knowledge of Fluids is not necessarily required to answer my question.

Picture1-40.png

Homework Equations

This is the mass balance in a form that is suitable for this problem:

[tex]\frac{d}{d\,t}(\int_{vol}\rho\,dV) + \int_{surf}\rho(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n})d\,A = 0[/tex]

Now the integral that I am concerned with is this next line of the above:

[tex]\frac{d}{d\,t}(\int_{vol}\rho A_b\,dh) + \int{surf}\rho\sqrt{2gh}\,dA = 0 [/tex]

Now, in the solution, in the 2nd term, they 'pulled' [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex] through the integral.

I know that 'h' varies with 't' but it does not vary with 'A.' This is why they did that right?

I am just trying to see why that was legal, but I think that I get it. Just another case of
me 'thinking out loud' again. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
Now, in the solution, in the 2nd term, they 'pulled' [itex]\sqrt{2gh}[/itex] through the integral.

I know that 'h' varies with 't' but it does not vary with 'A.' This is why they did that right?

Yes, you got it. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Related to Fluids Mass Balance Integral Question | Homework Statement Explained

What is Integral QuestionFluids?

Integral QuestionFluids is a scientific concept that explores the use of fluid dynamics to model and analyze complex systems. It involves using mathematical equations and computational tools to understand how questions and answers flow within a system.

How does Integral QuestionFluids work?

Integral QuestionFluids uses a combination of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics to model the flow of questions and answers within a system. This involves analyzing the rate of question creation and the rate of answer consumption, as well as the interactions between different questions and answers.

What is the importance of Integral QuestionFluids?

Integral QuestionFluids can help scientists better understand the dynamics of complex systems, such as social networks, ecosystems, and even the human brain. By studying the flow of questions and answers within these systems, we can gain insights into their behavior and make predictions about their future states.

What are some real-world applications of Integral QuestionFluids?

Integral QuestionFluids has a wide range of applications, including in fields such as economics, sociology, and ecology. It can be used to study the spread of information and ideas in social networks, the flow of nutrients and energy in ecosystems, and the decision-making processes in human societies.

How is Integral QuestionFluids different from traditional fluid dynamics?

Integral QuestionFluids differs from traditional fluid dynamics in that it focuses on the flow of questions and answers, rather than physical fluids. It also takes into account the dynamic nature of questions and answers, as they can change and evolve over time. Additionally, Integral QuestionFluids often involves the use of computational tools and data analysis techniques, whereas traditional fluid dynamics primarily relies on mathematical equations and physical experiments.