Evaluating Integrals Divisions for Physics Homework

In summary: So it is undefined.In summary, the student is trying to solve a physics problem where they have to evaluate the root-mean-square radius. They first evaluate the radius for a constant \rho, and then evaluate the radius for a "(r)dependent" \rho. However, the student is not sure how to divide the two integrals and is looking for help.
emol1414

Homework Statement

It's a physics problem, where i have to evaluate the root-mean-square radius defined by the expression below. (First for a constant \rho, then for a "(r)dependent" \rho).

Homework Equations

([tex]\int{_0}{^\infty} \rho r^4 dr / \int{_0}{^\infty} \rho r^2 dr[/tex]) ^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So... i know that each of this two integrals goes to infinity. But I wonder about their division... I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emol1414 said:

Homework Equations

([tex]\int{_0}{^\infty} \rho r^4 dr / \int{_0}{^\infty} \rho r^2 dr[/tex]) ^(1/2)

I'm really trying to edit it and make the expression look nice, but i can't figure out how to do it.
Anywayz... it's the first integral (from 0 to infinity) divided by the second integral (also 0 to infinity). And then the square root of this.

Fixed your LaTeX.
emol1414 said:

Homework Statement

It's a physics problem, where i have to evaluate the root-mean-square radius defined by the expression below. (First for a constant \rho, then for a "(r)dependent" \rho).

Homework Equations

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\int_0^{\infty} \rho r^4 dr }{\int_0^{\infty} \rho r^2 dr}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So... i know that each of this two integrals goes to infinity. But I wonder about their division... I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you, Mark! ^^

Now... with the correct latex code =P Could anyone give me a enlightenment here, how to work with this?

I thought... if i have [tex]\infty[/tex] both "sides" up and down... i could use L'Hopital. But I keep thinking this would be just 'too easy' Oo Idk why, but doesn't sound right to me.
Any ideias?

Hm... even using L'Hopital (e.g, for a constante [tex]\rho[/tex]) i would get a [tex]\infty[/tex] root-mean-square radius anyway. It doesn't make sense, i think

Of course, the constant [itex]\rho[/itex] cancels. Now, recall that
[tex]\int_a^\infty f(x)dx= \lim_{b\to\infty}\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^b r^4 dr= \frac{1}{5}b^5[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_0^c r^2 dr= \frac{1}{5}c^3[/tex]
and taking the limit as c and b go to infinity independently gives no integral.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating integrals in physics homework?

Evaluating integrals is an important tool in physics as it allows us to calculate the area under a curve, which represents physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also helps us solve problems involving motion, forces, and energy.

2. What are the steps to evaluate an integral in physics homework?

The first step is to identify the integral you need to evaluate. Then, determine the limits of integration, which represent the starting and ending points of the curve. Next, use the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve the integral. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. Can I use a calculator to evaluate integrals for physics homework?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind the calculations and not solely rely on the calculator. Additionally, some integrals may not have a closed-form solution and may require numerical methods to approximate the answer.

4. How do I know if I have solved the integral correctly?

You can check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also graph the original function and the integral to see if they have the same shape and area under the curve. Additionally, you can use online tools or ask your teacher for verification.

5. Can I use integrals in other areas of physics besides mechanics?

Yes, integrals are used in various areas of physics, such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. In these fields, integrals are used to calculate electric and magnetic fields, work and heat, and probability amplitudes, respectively. Understanding how to evaluate integrals is crucial in solving advanced physics problems.