Integrating 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx: How to Use Trigonometric Substitutions

In summary, you are supposed to use trigonometric substitutions to integrate 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx. However, you are having trouble getting started because you are not familiar with the square root symbol. After some hard work, you have finally arrived at an answer.
oexnorth
I'm supposed to be Integrating 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx using trigonometric substitutions, but I do not know how to get started with this one.

Am I supposed to rewrite this as 1/sqrt((4+x^2)^2) and then use the reference triangle? I've tried expanding the bottom, but that doesn't get me anywhere.

Any help, please. I don't want the answer, I just want the first step to get this started.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi oexnorth! Welcome to PF! :smile:
oexnorth said:
I'm supposed to be Integrating 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx using trigonometric substitutions, but I do not know how to get started with this one.

With (a2 - x2), use sine or cosine.

With (x2 - a2), use sec or cosec.

With (a2 + x2), use tan or cot. :wink:

So would x=2sqrt(tan(theta))? Sorry, but the square instead of the square root in the problem is throwing me off.

Yes exactly.
You're using the fact that [tex]1+tan^2\theta=sec^2\theta[/tex]
so I'm sure you can see where this is heading.

p.s. do not start throwing in square roots. That is an invalid move, and makes the problem boring now with the invention of the standard integrals and all :smile:

Definitely. Thank you both.

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
oexnorth said:
So would x=2sqrt(tan(theta))? Sorry, but the square instead of the square root in the problem is throwing me off.

eugh :yuck: … you can use √tan, but it's easy to make a mistake if you choose anything complicated …

I'd strongly recommend sticking to the simplest possible substitution, in this case just tan. :smile:

Ok, after repeated workings and reworkings, I've come up with:

(1/16)arctan(x/2)+x/8(4+x^2)

Can anyone verify this? Thanks.

You can verify that it's correct by differenting. If you answer is correct, it should be that d/dx[1/16*arctan(x/2) + 1/8*x(x^2 + 4)] = 1/(x^2 + 4)^2.

Whatever your answer turns out to be, don't forget the constant of integration.

1. What is the formula for integrating 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx?

The formula for integrating 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx is:

∫1/(4+x^2)^2 dx = (1/8)arctan(x/2) + C

2. How do you solve the integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx?

To solve the integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx, you can use the formula ∫1/(a^2+x^2)^2 dx = (1/2a^3)arctan(x/a) + C, where a is the constant in the denominator.

3. Can the integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx be solved using substitution?

Yes, the integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx can be solved using substitution. You can let u = 4+x^2 and du = 2xdx. This will simplify the integral to ∫ 1/u^2 du, which can be solved using the power rule.

4. What is the domain of the function 1/(4+x^2)^2?

The domain of the function 1/(4+x^2)^2 is all real numbers, since the denominator cannot be equal to 0.

5. How can the integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx be applied in real life?

The integral of 1/(4+x^2)^2 dx can be applied in physics and engineering to calculate the potential energy of a system with a force that varies inversely with the square of the distance, such as in the case of an object in a gravitational or electric field.