Integrating arcsin: Solving \int \sqrt{9-x^{2}}dx with step-by-step explanation

• Thread starter Hannisch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving the integral of \sqrt{9-x^{2}}dx. The person was struggling with the last integral and was unsure of how to deal with the factor of 1/3 that appeared. Another person suggested using the relevant equation \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}dx = arcsinx to deal with \frac{x}{3} instead of just x. They also mentioned using the substitution x=3 \sin \theta to make the integral easier to work with.
Hannisch

Homework Statement

The problem, from the very beginning, was:

[tex]\int \sqrt{9-x^{2}}dx[/tex]

But this I have reduced to:

[tex]\int \sqrt{9-x^{2}}dx = \frac{x}{2} \sqrt{9-x^{2}} + \frac{9}{2} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{9-x^{2}}}dx [/tex]

My problem is that last integral - I get a factor of (1/3) times the correct answer and I don't know what to do - I simply can't see it.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}dx = arcsinx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I look at it and want to "transform" my expression into something like the arcsin expression above. So I say:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{9-x^{2}}}dx = \int \frac{1}{3\sqrt{1-\frac{x^{2}}{9}}}dx[/tex]

and from there get:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{9-x^{2}}}dx = \frac{1}{3}arcsin\frac{x}{3}[/tex]

but you're not supposed to get that factor of 1/3 - you're not supposed to remove it? Can anyone explain to me what I'm missing? I've searched my textbook so many times now I'm about to throw it into the wall or something..

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int \frac{{\rm d}u}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}=\arcsin u[/tex]

but here we have

[tex]\int \frac{{\rm d}x}{\sqrt{1-\left(\frac x 3 \right)^2}}[/tex]

[tex]u= \frac x 3 \Rightarrow {\rm d}x= ?[/tex]

You need to use that relevant equation to deal with [tex]\frac{x}{3}[/tex] and not just [tex]x[/tex]. Be careful with that substitution!

Also, a more natural way to deal with the original integral would be to consider the substitution [tex]x=3 \sin \theta [/tex] and go from there using some trig identities

Ohh, I think I get it now, thank you! I'd say it needs dx/3, so my 1/3 "disappears" (for lack of better wording).

Anyway, as for that last comment - you're probably right, but I don't think I've seen that type of thing being used before.

Hannisch said:
Anyway, as for that last comment - you're probably right, but I don't think I've seen that type of thing being used before.

No need to worry really. You will come across it sooner or later and it's good to know

You could also have used the trig substitution x = 3sinθ which should make the integral pretty easy to work with.

1. What is the formula for integrating arcsin?

The formula for integrating arcsin is: ∫(arcsin x)dx = x·arcsin x + √(1-x^2) + C

2. How do you solve an integration problem involving arcsin?

To solve an integration problem involving arcsin, you can use the formula ∫(arcsin x)dx = x·arcsin x + √(1-x^2) + C. First, integrate the x term using the power rule. Then, use the trigonometric identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 to rewrite the remaining term in the formula.

3. Can you use substitution when integrating arcsin?

Yes, substitution can be used when integrating arcsin. However, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, integration by parts may be a better approach.

4. Are there any special rules for integrating arcsin?

Yes, there are some special rules for integrating arcsin. One rule is that the integral of arcsin x is undefined when x is greater than 1 or less than -1. Another rule is that the integral of arcsin x is equal to π/2 when x = 1, and -π/2 when x = -1.

5. Can you use trigonometric identities to simplify an integration problem involving arcsin?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be used to simplify an integration problem involving arcsin. For example, the identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 can be used to simplify the integrand before integrating. Additionally, the double angle identity sin2x = 2sinx·cosx can also be helpful in some cases.